Can I split 1 cell into 2 cells in Excel?

  1. #1
    Chalky
    Guest

    Can I split 1 cell into 2 cells in Excel?

    I am working in a spreadsheet where I frequently use the filter and sort
    functions. I want to split one cell into two in one column, I don't want to
    use two columns and merge the rest of the cells as this upsets the
    filter/sort functions.

  2. #2
    James Hamilton
    Guest

    RE: Can I split 1 cell into 2 cells in Excel?

    Try this....

    Highlight the required cells you want to split and DATA > TEXT TO COLUMNS >
    NEXT then enter the parameter that you want to split by (colon, space, etc)
    FINISH

  3. #3
    Chalky
    Guest

    RE: Can I split 1 cell into 2 cells in Excel?

    Thanks for your reply James. That doesn't really do the trick, maybe because
    it is only one cell or maybe because I am trying to put a formula into the
    cell I want to split.

    Chalky

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Can I split 1 cell into 2 cells in Excel?

    You cannot 'split' a cell into 2, unless it is a previously merged cell.

    If you provide more detail about your ultimate objective, you might get
    advice on an alternative approach

  5. #5
    James Hamilton
    Guest

    RE: Can I split 1 cell into 2 cells in Excel?

    Chalky,

    Try this, it may work depending on the data that you want to split...

    A B
    1 chalky =left (a1,2) will yield "ch" in cell B1

    This returns the first two characters of A1. You can also use the
    =right(....) function and I think there's another one.... "mid" perhaps.

    Good luck

    James

  6. #6
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Can I split 1 cell into 2 cells in Excel?

    Hi Chalky

    I'm not sure exactly what you are after. Perhaps you are wanting to sort
    using just part of a cell contents. If so a previous response by Jim Cone
    may help

    "Jim Cone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<#[email protected]>...
    > Mike,
    > My Excel add-in "Special Sort" - rel 1.30, should do what you want.
    > It adds 11 sort features not found in Excel, including sorting by..
    > Prefix, Suffix or Middle (where you specify the length/position).
    > Will also sort by color, dates, number group, length, reverse,
    > random and others.
    > Comes with a 2 page install/use Word file.
    > It is available - free - upon direct request.
    > Remove XXX from my email address.>
    > Regards,
    > Jim Cone
    > San Francisco, USA
    > [email protected]XX

    Jim was kind enough to send me a copy and it works very well. I am sure that
    if you mail him, he would send you a copy also.

    If this is not your problem, post back with more details.

    Regards

    Roger Govier