How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

  1. #1
    Alan Smith
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    "Dmitry Kopnichev" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:uPkd%[email protected]...
    > Hello
    > How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey? Notebook is too heavy
    > and
    > large. What OS and programs and PC or smartphone to use?

    It depends on the complexity of your sheets, size of screen etc. A pocket pc
    can edit basic excel sheets and there are more fully featured third party
    programs (like Planmaker) that support most excel features available too.

  3. #3
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    Thanks for your reply.
    Does the Planmaker have the auditing toolbar? How basic should excel sheets
    be for a pocket pc edit? My sheets have INDEX, HLOOLUP, LOOLUP, FORECAST and
    ARRAY FORMULAS AND constants.
    Can a pocket pc work with Outlook 2003 data?
    "Alan Smith" <[email protected]> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch \(Dot\) Com!
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    Dmitry,

    Most of what you are needing to do is in PlanMaker as Alan has suggested. I
    would recommend you going to the Softmaker website at
    http://www.softmaker.com and downloading the demo version of PlanMaker. It
    is fully functional and would prove for sure if the application will do the
    job for you.

    Clinton Fitch
    Senior Editor / Owner
    Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
    http://www.clintonfitch.com

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    >> How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey? <<

    Would also recommend spending some time getting a compact keyboard for
    your journey.

    When you get closer to a decision point for which pc, come back and ask
    for input... for example, if your needs require a lot of input, there
    are devices with built in "thumb" keyboards, currently a new crop has
    small regular keyboards and bluetooth capabilities would make a large
    difference if you went the folding keyboard route.

    See http://BevHoward.com/TravLite.htm for some other thoughts on
    traveling light.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

  6. #6
    Alan Smith
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    > "Alan Smith" <[email protected]> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "Dmitry Kopnichev" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:uPkd%[email protected]...
    >> > Hello
    >> > How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey? Notebook is too
    >> > heavy
    >> > and
    >> > large. What OS and programs and PC or smartphone to use?
    >> >

    >> It depends on the complexity of your sheets, size of screen etc. A pocket

    > pc
    >> can edit basic excel sheets and there are more fully featured third party
    >> programs (like Planmaker) that support most excel features available too.

    "Dmitry Kopnichev" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Thanks for your reply.
    > Does the Planmaker have the auditing toolbar? How basic should excel
    > sheets
    > be for a pocket pc edit? My sheets have INDEX, HLOOLUP, LOOLUP, FORECAST
    > and
    > ARRAY FORMULAS AND constants.
    > Can a pocket pc work with Outlook 2003 data?

    http://www.softmaker.com has the manual for you to study to see if it will
    fulfill your needs. There are also fairly active forums available via the
    site so you could ask specific questions but it seems that it is the best
    option for a portable machine without going to a subnotebook running Windows
    with desktop Excel.

    Pocket Outlook is included with ppc's- look at microsofts site for
    information.

  7. #7
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    Thanks.
    "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com>
    ???????/???????? ? ???????? ?????????:
    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    There is a notebook Asus s200 or 300, which weights just 900 grams. Is it a
    better chose?

  9. #9
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    There is a notebook Asus s200 or 300, which weights just 900 grams. Is it a
    better choice?

  10. #10
    Alan Smith
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    >> > "Alan Smith" <[email protected]> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
    >> > news:[email protected]...

    > pocket
    >> > pc

    > party

    > too.
    >> >>

    >> "Dmitry Kopnichev" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:%[email protected]...
    >> > Thanks for your reply.
    >> > Does the Planmaker have the auditing toolbar? How basic should excel
    >> > sheets
    >> > be for a pocket pc edit? My sheets have INDEX, HLOOLUP, LOOLUP,
    >> > FORECAST
    >> > and
    >> > ARRAY FORMULAS AND constants.
    >> > Can a pocket pc work with Outlook 2003 data?

    >> http://www.softmaker.com has the manual for you to study to see if it
    >> will
    >> fulfill your needs. There are also fairly active forums available via the
    >> site so you could ask specific questions but it seems that it is the best
    >> option for a portable machine without going to a subnotebook running

    > Windows
    >> with desktop Excel.
    >>
    >> Pocket Outlook is included with ppc's- look at microsofts site for
    >> information.

    "Dmitry Kopnichev" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > There is a notebook Asus s200 or 300, which weights just 900 grams. Is it
    > better choice?

    Only you can say what will be best for yourself- it depends on what you will
    do, how much battery life, how much money, what your eyes are like, how much
    portability, etc etc you want/need. Work out your requirements, desirable,
    nice to have but not essentials. Then work out how each format meets your
    needs, or more importantly which needs aren't met. Then decide suitability
    for your own needs.

  11. #11
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    I do not want to loose work in Excel in the Planmaker. The Planmaker does
    not retain some functions of an Excel file.

  12. #12
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    Is there a pocket pc which requires only one hand to hold and operate, with
    a keyboard for the thumb?
    news:[email protected]...

  13. #13
    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    >> Is there a pocket pc which requires only one hand to hold and
    operate, with a keyboard for the thumb? <<

    I think Captain Kirk had one that allowed him to maintain his captain's
    logs in addition to processing complex computer needs using voice only ;-)

    Seriously, time to look at what's available, justify the price and see
    what it's capable of rather than requiring your specs to be met in
    advance.... you have gotten a lot of good suggestions, so it's up to you
    to decide yes or no and either reap or refuse the benefits that are
    currently there for the taking.

    Thumb keyboards are available, but no current built in or snapon
    keyboard is going to offer you onehanded operation.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

  14. #14
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    There is Palmone Treo 650 which you can operate with one hand, but it uses
    Palm OS and has difficulty with Cyrillic in the Office files and the number
    of buttons is not enough for Russian language.
    There is HP hw6515 with full keyboard, but it requies sylus often.

  15. #15
    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    >> There is Palmone Treo 650 which you can operate with one hand <<

    A number of pocketpc's have the same "thumb keyboard" but I would
    challenge the idea that any can really be considered "one handed"
    operational with much more funcionality than a ppc with no keyboard,
    especially with your posted priority of using excel.

    I have had four devices with thumb keyboards and can attest that they
    were all challenging even when used with two hands (thumbs)

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

  16. #16
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    Thanks, Beverly Howard!
    I understood that mobile devices, including pocket pc, cannot edit much of
    the contents of excel files without discarding some information from them.
    Now I want a mobile device which I could hold and operate with just one hand
    to view Word, Outlook and Excel files and write notes or edit word files.
    Why were your four devices with thumb keyboards all challenging even when
    used with two hands (thumbs)?
    "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com>
    ???????/???????? ? ???????? ?????????:
    news:O%[email protected]...

  17. #17
    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    >> cannot edit much of the contents of excel files without discarding
    some information from them. <<

    First, I am not an "excel" person, so my info is incomplete.

    If you use advanced features of excel (graphs, advanced functions, etc)
    they will be editied out on sync.

    That said, I have opened many excel files and have never encountered
    this... i.e. if you use basic spreadsheets, you will have enough power
    to do what you need.

    If you have advanced needs, there are third party excel apps that give
    you a complete solution.

    note... when complex spreadsheets are synced from the pc and edited,
    their sync back to the pc overwrites the advanced feature copy, so,
    never sync the originals of word and excel files if they use advanced
    desktop features.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

  18. #18
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    Do you mean "advanced features of excel (graphs, advanced functions, etc)
    will be editied out on sync", not files? Cannot Pocket PC edit advanced
    features of excel (graphs, advanced functions) at all?
    I do not use basic spreadsheets usually.
    Planmaker cannot edit all features of Excel files.

  19. #19
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    Get the program and try- you get a trial period.

    It supports most features of Excel. You can copy excel files to and from
    your pc without conversion- this means you don't lose things in the file.
    But rather than talking about what can/can't be done just download, install
    and try. Don't forget the pdf manual which is also a free download- read it
    to see the programs capabilities.

  20. #20
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to audit and edit Excell files on the journey?

    I want to buy the mobile pc, I do not have the pc yet.
    "Alan" <[email protected]> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
    news:[email protected]...