extract matching text to make report

  1. #1
    swimmingdogz
    Guest

    extract matching text to make report

    I have a daily print log w/ 6 columns that record: date, client name,
    printer's initials and three columns pertaining to sheet size. This is
    working well on a daily basis as the number of sheets in a particular size
    are continuously added as the month and list go on.
    At the end of the month I need to consolidate the list in order to bill the
    clients. Some of the clients names (print orders) will show up numerous
    times. Some names are new clients, etc..

    Question is: Besides using filters on the same sheet, how can I make a
    consolidated list that will show the clients name only once, along with a
    single sum representing the amount of sheets printed in a particular size.
    How can I get excel to recognize text entries that match other entries, so
    that in the end it will only list that particular name once.

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: extract matching text to make report

    Hi

    This can be achieved with Advanced Filter, extracting all the data to
    another sheet. Make the Client name get picked up to a single cell somewhere
    at the top of your sheet, and then hide the column that contains customer name.

    For lots of help on Advanced Filter take a look at
    http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#ExtractWs

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: extract matching text to make report

    > I have a daily print log w/ 6 columns that record: date, client name,
    > printer's initials and three columns pertaining to sheet size. This
    > is working well on a daily basis as the number of sheets in a
    > particular size are continuously added as the month and list go on.
    > At the end of the month I need to consolidate the list in order to
    > bill the clients. Some of the clients names (print orders) will show
    > up numerous times. Some names are new clients, etc..
    >
    > Question is: Besides using filters on the same sheet, how can I make a
    > consolidated list that will show the clients name only once, along
    > with a single sum representing the amount of sheets printed in a
    > particular size. How can I get excel to recognize text entries that
    > match other entries, so that in the end it will only list that
    > particular name once.

    Maybe a pivot table report would meet your needs:
    Data >> Pivot table report

  4. #4
    widman
    Guest

    Re: extract matching text to make report

    Sounds like you just need the SUMIF function.
    As an example, I use it for petty cash. The person in charge just fills out
    the expenses, as many as there are in a day. The column at the right (that
    could have been another page) has 31 days in it, with the total outflow per
    day. SUMIF looks to see where the day spent column matches the number to its
    left, and then sums the column with the amount.
    They also enter the account number, so on another sheet, it summarizes the
    total month to date in each of 70 or so accounts.

  5. #5
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: extract matching text to make report

    You would use VBA for this task. The code would loop through all the names
    and find all the instances of each name. It would then place that data
    where you want and in whatever format you want.
    The details of what you want are unclear from what you say. If you
    wish, send me direct via email a small file clearly showing what you have
    and giving an example of what you want Excel to do. Pretend that I know
    nothing about your business. My email address is [email protected].
    Remove the "nop" from this address. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...