Tests for Normality in Excel

  1. #1
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Tests for Normality in Excel

    Are there any tests for Normality in Excel? I've used other statistical
    packages and currently don't have access to them. Does Excel have this type
    of capability and if it does, how do I use it?

    Thanks,
    Barb Reinhardt

  2. #2
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Tests for Normality in Excel

    Barb,

    The Analysis TookPak included with Excel has a
    "Descriptive Statistics" function that generates information like
    the following. The data was from a column of test scores.
    You must first checkmark Analysis Tool Pak in Tools | Add-ins.

    Regards,
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

    '-------------------------------------
    Mean 527.5502008
    Standard Error 2.818282828
    Median 528
    Mode 558
    Standard Deviation 88.94350581
    Sample Variance 7910.947226
    Kurtosis 0.013569105
    Skewness 0.0683953
    Range 553
    Minimum 247
    Maximum 800
    Sum 525440
    Count 996
    Confidence Level (95.0%) 5.530465913

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Tests for Normality in Excel

    Excel does not have built in tests for Normality, but it also is not a
    statistical package (it is a spreadsheet that has some limited
    statistical capabilities built in). There are some commercial
    statistics Add-Ins that would cover this, or you could do a simple
    Chi-Square goodness of fit test. If you want a full-blown statistics
    package, R is free
    www.r-project.org

    Jerry