formula result not displayed

  1. #1
    Darby
    Guest

    formula result not displayed

    I have a large spreadsheet (28MB) that is not displaying formulas results in
    one worksheet. The formulas are not complex (ex., +'Placeholders 2006
    Master'!$L$80*'Placeholders 2006 Master'!AO$141). If I go to any cell and
    hit F2 to edit it directly that cell will display its result, even if it is
    referencing another cell that is experiencing the same problem.

    A simple F9 does nothing but I discovered by accident that Ctl ALt Shift F9
    did cause the formulas to calculate. Does anyone know why this happens and
    how we can keep it from happening again?

    Thanks for any help

  2. #2
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: formula result not displayed

    You might have automatic calculation turned off, try:

    Tools->Options->'Calculation' Tab->Check 'Automatic'

    Dave

  3. #3
    Darby
    Guest

    RE: formula result not displayed

    Sorry I should have mentioned this in the original post. Automatic
    calculation is turned on so that is not the problem

  4. #4
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: formula result not displayed

    It sound as if the cells you are referring to are formatted as text. Try
    entering 1 in an empty cell and copy it, select the entire range of the
    offending cells an do 'Paste Special', check 'Multiply 'OK'. What this does
    is to force a cell format back from text to number, or whatever.
    To avoid the problem in the future (assuming this is the problem), make sure
    the formulas you enter are not entered in cells formatted as text,
    Regards,
    Alan.
    news:[email protected]...