Calculate differences between age

  1. #1

    Red face Calculate differences between age

    I have a spreadsheet and I want to have ages in a YY: MM format (excel doesnt like that, any help would be great). eg. 11:08 is 11 years and 8 months.

    I will have an actual age for every entry and then a reading age in the same format for every entry. I will then calculate the difference and put them in order of the highest difference.

    I basically need to know the formula for the format I want to use as my efforts have not come to fruition as yet!

    Thank you in advance, this is a great little community by the looks of it!

    Carl

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Calculate differences between age

    Hi carlharris

    With the date in A2
    This will also work if it is negative

    =IF(A2<=TODAY(),DATEDIF(A2,TODAY(),"Y") & " y " & DATEDIF(A2,TODAY(),"ym") & " m","-"&DATEDIF(TODAY(),A2,"y")& " y "
    &DATEDIF(TODAY(),A2,"ym")& " m")

    With DateRefiner you can insert this formula in your data table if you want
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/datarefiner.htm

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl