Access Records into Excel

  1. #1
    KJGradwell
    Guest

    Access Records into Excel

    Guys
    I wonder if any one can help me? When I export from Access to Excel I'm OK
    when I import into Excel I am not.
    Specifically;
    when I import (via external data) a table from Access the records are
    largely in the correct order but not completely so, occasional records or
    small groups of records are out of sync.
    If I open the data from Access (tools-microsoft office-analyse in excel) the
    records are displayed in sequence. I need to be able to refresh the excel
    file as records are added to access; so as far as I know importing into
    excel is the way to do it but I'm a bit stuck.

    Thanks
    Kevan

  2. #2
    Conrad Carlberg
    Guest

    Re: Access Records into Excel

    Hi Kevan,

    One of the goals of a true database is to enable records to appear in any
    sequence, and so at times they do. Unless your table is indexed and the
    index is in effect, when you open the table in Access, you'll usually but
    not necessarily see the records in the order entered.

    My own preference is to build an Access query, cause it to sort on the
    field(s) I want for my sequence, and then point my external data range at
    that query. I prefer that approach because I often bring back to Excel data
    from linked tables, and Access gives me greater control over queries than
    does Microsoft Query.

    And yes, external data ranges (or pivot tables) are the way to go, unless
    you have to do record-by-record processing, in which case you should
    probably resort to VBA and ADO.
    --
    C^2
    Conrad Carlberg

    Excel Sales Forecasting for Dummies, Wiley, 2005

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    KJGradwell
    Guest