De-duping a spreadsheet

  1. #1
    ML Edwards
    Guest

    De-duping a spreadsheet

    Does Excel provide a utility for removing duplicate records from a
    spreadsheet -- the entire record is considered a duplicate entry based on the
    data in one specific field - the rest of the record need not be an exact
    duplicate.

    I have a file of 41,000+ records with approximately 5000 dups.

    I appreciate anyhelp I can get on this one...
    thanks!

  2. #2
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: De-duping a spreadsheet

    Hi ML Edwards. Check out Chip Pearson's site.
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: De-duping a spreadsheet

    select the column, do Data=>Filter=>Advanced Filter. Select Uniques in the
    dialog and filter in place. You can ignore criteria. Click OK

    Now select all the data and copy and paste it to a new worksheet. Only the
    visible (unique rows) will be copies.

    --
    regards,
    Tom Ogilvy