Formatting a date/time cell

  1. #1
    Frank D. Nicodem, Jr.
    Guest

    Formatting a date/time cell

    I am trying to import/open a .CSV file in Excel that has date/time
    information in one of the columns. In the .CSV file, this information is
    represented as something like:

    "10/04/2005 18:16:09"

    When I open this file in Excel, apparently Excel is smart enough to "figure
    out" that this is a date/time field, and it formats it as such. However, it
    formats it as "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm" -- with no seconds! They're just ignored.

    Interestingly enough, if I click on any of those cells, and look at the data
    displayed in the "fx" box at the top, it will say (using the above example):

    10/04/2005 06:16:09 PM

    So, in other words, the "seconds" data *is there*. I just can't get it to
    display.

    I've tried searching the Format options\ -- under Date, Time, and Custom
    categories -- and can find all sorts of different manipulations of date and
    time formats. But nothing that includes the date *and* the seconds. I can
    either get the date and time (without seconds), or just the time (with
    seconds).

    If the complete data *is there* (which it obviously is), then how can I get
    it to *display* as such, within each individual cell????
    Frank Nicodem
    [email protected]

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips