Excel Showing a Calculation and a Value

  1. #1
    Chipmatr
    Guest

    Excel Showing a Calculation and a Value

    I would like to know if it is possible to take the value from two cells and
    calculated the value and have the information displayed in the calculating
    cell as both what is being calculated and the calculated value.

    Example

    C3 = 5
    C2 = 10

    C6 = C3/C2 and would show 50%, i would like it to show "(10/5) 50%"

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Excel Showing a Calculation and a Value

    With 3 in A1 and 12 in B1, this formula =B1&"/"&A1&" = "&B1/A1 displays
    12/3 = 4
    However, you will not be able to do arithmetic with the result
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Chipmatr
    Guest

    Re: Excel Showing a Calculation and a Value

    Benard, thanks is there any way to make that 4 show up as a percentage?

  4. #4
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    RE: Excel Showing a Calculation and a Value

    Try this:

    ="("&C3&"/"&C2&") "&TEXT(C3/C2,"00%")

    The result is (5/10) 50%

    If you REALLY want 10/5, switch it how you want.

  5. #5
    Chipmatr
    Guest

    RE: Excel Showing a Calculation and a Value

    Barb,

    Thanks for your help, the last part of the equation is i am trying to
    conditionally format the cell so that the answer coordinates with a color, is
    it possible to do this with this formula.

    So far the formula is returning exactly what i want, but the conditional
    format isn't working.

  6. #6
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    RE: Excel Showing a Calculation and a Value

    How do you want to format it?

  7. #7
    Chipmatr
    Guest

    RE: Excel Showing a Calculation and a Value

    for example if the outcome of the division is 1 to .75 i would like the cell
    color to be green, if it is .74 to .5 yellow, and .49 and less red. i was
    using the conditional format for this before, however i guess with the
    formula you gave me it dosen't return a direct answer to the cell. If there
    is anything you can do, i would greatly appreciate it.

    Ryan

  8. #8
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    RE: Excel Showing a Calculation and a Value

    No it doesn't.

    Try something like this for your condition.

    =AND(C3/C4>0.75,C3/C4<1)