Pivot table formats text data with 2 decimals

  1. #1
    Don S
    Guest

    Pivot table formats text data with 2 decimals

    My source table has a vlookup field using general format that looks up
    a value in a separate table also using general format. The data is
    either alphanumeric or numeric (ie: TX1 or 4, or 5, etc.). I have
    tried changing the formats to text with the following results.

    When I run a pivot table using the source table, one of the row fields
    (for grouping) is this lookup field. Excel displays the results that
    resemble numeric data with two decimals and offers no formatting in
    the pivot table options (like it does for data fields).

    I can change the field format, but refreshing the pivot table always
    goes back to two decimals. I have turned preserve formatting and
    other options off & on with the same results.

    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

    Thanks!

    Don S

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table formats text data with 2 decimals

    If you're using an older versions of Excel, when you're selecting cells
    to format, use the Pivot Table selection, instead of selecting cells
    with the Excel pointer:

    You may have to Enable Selection first. (From the Pivot toolbar, choose
    PivotTable>Select, and click on Enable Selection)

    Then, before formatting cells, use the selection feature to select the
    cells. For example, move the pointer to the top of a column in the pivot
    table (just above the column's heading cell). When the black arrow
    appears (like the one that appears when the pointer is over a column
    button), click to select the column in the pivot table.

    Or, use the commands on the Pivot Table>Select menu, e.g. select the
    entire table, then choose to Select Data.

    Then apply the formatting, and it may stick.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Don S
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table formats text data with 2 decimals

    Bless you, Debra. That's the second time you've saved me from
    insanity.

    I am using Excel 2003 (office XP Pro). I don't know why that just
    started happening. I did add one element to my lookup table, but
    can't determine why it would have changed things. It is interesting
    that some of my pivot tables in this workbook kept their formatting
    while others only mis-formatted the new element. When I removed the
    row from the pivot table & put it back, they all had the wrong format
    : ( But that's another story.

    Thank You!!!!

    Don S

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table formats text data with 2 decimals

    You're welcome! Glad I could help again.