How to create a formula where a letter equals a number, i.e. Y = 1

  1. #1
    Kathy
    Guest

    How to create a formula where a letter equals a number, i.e. Y = 1

    Hi
    I am creating a spreadsheet that we are using to record the number of
    people that will be attending a meeting. Is there a formula that I can
    enter so that a "Y" or "Yes" response will equal to 1 and I can
    therefore tally up all of the positive responses?

    Any help would be appreciated!

    Thanks
    Kathy

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How to create a formula where a letter equals a number, i.e.Y = 1

    Hi

    One way
    =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"=y")

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    Kathy
    Guest

    Re: How to create a formula where a letter equals a number, i.e. Y = 1

    Thanks Roger. This is good! How about this similar one? I need to
    know the total number of Clients and Employees that are coming to each
    event. In column I it is listed whether an individual is a client or
    an employee. In column J it lists whether they are coming to the event
    (a Y for Yes, N for N). I want to create a formula along the lines of:

    SUM OF If client in column I and Y in column J then = 1.
    SUM OF If employee in column I and Y in column J then = 1

    Any ideas?

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How to create a formula where a letter equals a number, i.e.Y = 1

    Hi Kathy

    One way
    =SUMPRODUCT(--($I$2:$I$100="C"),--($J$2:$J$100="Y"))
    to give total for Clients.
    Change "C" to "E" for Employee

    Change ranges to suit, but ensure that they are of equal size.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  5. #5
    Kathy
    Guest

    Re: How to create a formula where a letter equals a number, i.e. Y = 1

    Hi Roger,
    Thanks once again for the response. This formula doesn't seem to be
    working for me. I checked out the Help section of excel and maybe it's
    because SUMPRODUCT treats array entries that are not numeric as if they
    were zeros. Is there a way to get it to recognize the words? Also,
    what do the $ means?
    Thanks
    Kathy

  6. #6
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: How to create a formula where a letter equals a number, i.e. Y = 1

    I'm sure that Roger assumed you would realize that when he used "C" in the
    formula, you would either match the contents of Column I to the "C" ... OR
    .... you would revise the parameters in the formula to match the actual
    contents of Column I.(Client(s) ... Employee(s)).

    In other words, whatever you have in Column I, should be in the formula, or
    vice-versa.

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How to create a formula where a letter equals a number, i.e.Y = 1

    Hi Kathy

    In what way does it not work?
    What result do you get?
    I had to guess at what your markers were for Customers or Employees in
    column J. I chose "C" for Customer and "E" for Employee.
    What have you used? Just change them accordingly.

    The $ signs just lock the ranges as being absolute, so they won't alter
    if you copy the formula down the page, it will still only look at rows
    2:100 of column J and column I.
    They do not affect whether the formula works or not.

    All it is doing is testing each cell in the range to see if it contains
    the relevant marker. It returns True or False. These values are co-erced
    to 1 or 0 by the double unary minus -- in fron of each formula.

    Sumproduct then multiplies these results together e.g.
    0 * 0 = 0
    0 * 1 = 0
    1 * 0 = 1
    1 * 1 = 1
    and so on for the complete range

    then it sums the series to give the answer, which will be the total
    where both conditions are true.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  8. #8
    Kathy
    Guest

    Re: How to create a formula where a letter equals a number, i.e. Y = 1

    I am still confused. What would the formula be for the following?
    Let's same employees is column a, column b is Event 1, Column c is
    Event 2, Column d is Event 3. In this scenario how would I do totals
    that reflect the total number of clients and the total number of
    employees attending the events without sorting and seperating the two
    types of attendees?

    Employee y y y
    Employee
    Employee y y
    Employee y y y
    Client y y
    Client y y
    Client y y N
    Client y y y

  9. #9
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: How to create a formula where a letter equals a number, i.e. Y = 1

    So, you now have 3 events ... in 3 separate columns?

    This often occurs, where OPs start out with an over simplified explanation
    of a situation, and then try to expand a suggested solution to their problem
    to cover their entire, *actual* scenario.

    Is attendance at all 3 events mandatory to count as *one*,
    OR
    Is attendance at each event to count individually as a 1, or a 2, or a 3?

    In which case, you would want the totals for your last scenario to be:

    Employee - 2
    Client - 1
    OR
    Employee - 8
    Client - 9

    BTW - what happened to Column J?

  10. #10
    Kathy
    Guest

    Re: How to create a formula where a letter equals a number, i.e. Y = 1

    Once again, thank you so much for all of your help. The formula is now
    working, but the totals are off by 1 or 2 total. For example, the
    total for one figure should be 28, but by using the formula it is
    coming up as 26. Listed below are columns I - L.

    In column J, the following formulas are being used:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--($I$2:$I$134="Employee"),--($J$2:$J$134="Y"))
    =SUMPRODUCT(--($I$2:$I$134="Client"),--($J$2:$J$134="Y"))

    In column K, the following formulas are being used:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--($I$2:$I$134="Employee"),--($K$2:$K$134="Y"))
    =SUMPRODUCT(--($I$2:$I$134="Client"),--($K$2:$K$134="Y"))

    In column L, the following formulas are being used:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--($I$2:$I$134="Employee"),--(L2:L134="Y"))
    =SUMPRODUCT(--($I$2:$I$134="Client"),--(L2:L134="Y"))

    Here are columns I-L of the spreadsheet, with totals on line 138. Any
    ideas?

    Client/Employee Cocktail Rec Cruise Fri Inv Sem
    Client
    Client
    Employee
    Client
    Client y y y
    Client y y y
    Employee
    Client y y
    Client
    Employee
    Employee y y y
    Client y y
    Employee
    Employee
    Employee y y y
    Client
    Client y y y
    Employee
    Employee
    Employee
    Client y y y
    Employee
    Client
    Client
    Employee y y y
    Client
    Client y y
    Client
    Client
    Employee
    Employee y y
    Client y y y
    Employee y y y
    Employee
    Client
    Client
    Client y y y
    Client y
    Client y y y
    Client
    Employee
    Employee
    Client y y y
    Employee
    Client y y
    Employee
    Client
    Client y y
    Employee
    Client
    Employee
    Client
    Employee
    Employee y y
    Employee
    Employee
    Employee
    Client
    Employee
    Employee
    Client y y y
    Client
    Employee
    Employee
    Employee
    Client y y
    Employee y y y
    Client
    Client y y y
    Client
    Client
    Employee y y y
    Employee y y y
    Client y y
    Client y y
    Employee
    Employee
    Employee y y y
    Client y y y
    Employee
    Employee
    Employee
    Employee y y
    Employee
    Client y y
    Employee
    Employee
    Employee
    Employee y y y
    Client y y y
    Client
    Client y y y
    Client y y y
    Client y y
    Client
    Employee
    Client y y y
    Client
    Employee
    Employee
    Employee
    Client
    Employee
    Client y y y
    Client y y y
    Employee
    Employee
    Employee y y y
    Client
    Client
    Employee
    Client
    Client y y
    Client y y
    Client y y
    Employee
    Employee
    Employee
    Employee
    Employee
    Client y y
    Employee
    Client y y

    10 13 13
    16 30 31

  11. #11
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How to create a formula where a letter equals a number, i.e.Y = 1

    Hi Kathy

    Sorry not to have responded earlier, but I was away from my computer all
    day yesterday.
    I copied your data into a sheet, and applied the formulae and got the
    following results

    Cocktail Rec Cruise
    Employee 0 10 13
    Client 18 32 32

    These values are different from those you show at the bottom of your
    email quite considerably.
    Maybe the data you posted, isn't quite the same as that in your sheet.
    Perhaps you have a space before the word client or employee somewhere on
    your sheet, or a trailing space after the name.

    If you want to mail the original sheet to me directly, I would be happy
    to take a look and see if I can see the problem.

    Remove nospam from my email address to mail direct.

    Otherwise, post back with any other observations.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  12. #12
    Kathy
    Guest

    Re: How to create a formula where a letter equals a number, i.e. Y = 1

    Hi Roger!
    Thank you so much. I think I figured it out. Like you suggested it
    appeared to be a formatting error in that perhaps some of the y's were
    uppercase or had a space in front of it. I went back through and made
    sure everything was uniform and now it appears that the formula is
    working!
    Thanks again and have a great day!!
    Kathy

  13. #13
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How to create a formula where a letter equals a number, i.e.Y = 1

    Hi Kathy

    Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear it has worked out for you.
    The fact that it was "Y" or "y" wouldn't matter with this formula, but
    leading or trailing spaces would.

    Regards

    Roger Govier