conditional formatting based on another cells formula result

  1. #1
    kstarkey
    Guest

    conditional formatting based on another cells formula result

    Is it possible to have Excel do conditional formatting of a cell based on the
    reults of a different cell?

    For example, I have a column of data that give the averages of several
    numbers in a row. I would like to have those averages change color if the
    stadard deviation of those numbers is above a certian value. Is it possible
    to do this within the conditional formatting menu option or is there some way
    to link it to another column where I have the standard deviation calculated?

  2. #2

    I think you can

    If you use Formula Is vs. Cell Value Is and create your equation there and set the conditions.

    I have used this function comparing a value in a cell to the averave of three other cells and changing the text to red if the cell value was greater than the average.

    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    JR
    Guest

    RE: conditional formatting based on another cells formula result

    Highlight the cells that have the averages, then go to conditional
    formatting. Using a formula, reference the standard deviation cell with
    criteria (<, >, =, etc.). Your averages will then change color based on the
    standard deviation.

  4. #4
    Ray A
    Guest

    RE: conditional formatting based on another cells formula result

    One way;
    In cell you want to change format
    Format > Conditional Format> Change cell value is to formula is
    =a1>x and set the format
    A1 is the average and x is the value
    HTH