sorting data across multiple columns

  1. #1
    Spiderman
    Guest

    sorting data across multiple columns

    I have lets say 10 columns each labeled , A, B, C, through J.
    Each column contains 10 random serial numbers
    How can I sort the 10 columns in ascending or descending order so that all
    numbers in the 10 columns are sorted within the 10 rows in each column,
    from this:
    A B C D .....
    10 23 24 19
    2 7 18 21
    17 12 11 18 ETC..

    to this:
    A B C D...
    1 6 11 16
    2 7 12 17
    3 8 13 18
    4 9 14 19
    5 10 15 20

  2. #2
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: sorting data across multiple columns

    S...,

    My Excel add-in "Special Sort" - rel 1.40, should do what you want.
    It adds 12 sort features not found in Excel, including sorting by.. .
    color, prefix, suffix or middle (where you specify the length/position)
    dates, numbers, length, reverse, random and just added is the
    Table sort feature that sorts the selection across rows or down columns.

    It resembles and responds somewhat like the built-in Excel utility.
    Comes with a 2 page install/use Word file.
    It is available - free - upon email request.
    Remove XXX from my email address.

    Regards,
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA
    [email protected]XX

    "Spiderman"
    <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: sorting data across multiple columns

    Hi,

    Let us say, your data are in the grid A1:J10. In some cell (say L1) [this
    would be the top left-hand side cell of the new grid where the sorted numbers
    would go], enter the following formula:

    =SMALL($A$1:$J$10,(COLUMN()-COLUMN($L$1))*10+ROW()-ROW($L$1)+1)

    Fill-in the formula down the next 9 rows and across the next 9 columns.

    For sorting the numbers in descending order, change the "SMALL" in the
    formula to "LARGE".

    Regards,
    B. R. Ramachandran