Classifying Data

  1. #1
    Mad Dog
    Guest

    Classifying Data

    Suppose I have a database which has a primary field titled "Item". Different
    items can appear multiple times in my database, with different associated
    fields such as price, qty, etc. I know how to use the SUMIF command to get
    the data totaled that I need for a particular item, but is there a way I can
    get Excel to give me, say, the total qty for every item in my database, in a
    separate listing?

    Thanking you in advance,

    Mad Dog

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Classifying Data

    You could use a pivot table to summarize the data. There are
    instructions in Excel's Help, and Jon Peltier has instructions and links:

    http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm

    When you create the pivot table, put Item in the Row area, and Quantity
    in the Data area, where it will become Sum of Quantity.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List