delete cell that doesn't contain a specific word

  1. #1

    delete cell that doesn't contain a specific word

    I'm trying to delete a cell in excel if the content of the cell doesn't
    have a specific word. For example if I only wanted cells if it
    contained the word 'John' in it.
    Then the cell: I love excel - would be deleted but the cell: I love
    excel more than John - would not be deleted.

    I'm sure it's probably a simple solution but I'm not really sure how to
    do this.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: delete cell that doesn't contain a specific word

    Try this on a spare copy of the sheet

    Assuming the text cells are all in col A
    Select the range, then do a Data > Filter > Autofilter

    In the autofilter droplist:
    Select Custom, choose "does not contain" under "Show rows where" droplist
    Key into the box to the right: John
    Click OK

    This filters out the cells/rows which does not contain: John
    Select the filtered cells, right-click > Delete cells > Delete entire rows >
    OK

    Remove the autofilter
    --
    Rgds