create a formula for price * discount* tax =final price

  1. #1
    anton
    Guest

    create a formula for price * discount* tax =final price

    I am trying to compute the following: multiply the price times the discount %
    and then subtract that from the price. Then take that answer and multiply it
    by the tax %. For example price is 10, discount is 20% and tax% is 8%.
    price is 8 after discount
    multiply 8 times 8% = sales tax
    and then subtract that from 8 to get the final
    price of 7.36
    Thank You very much for your help

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: create a formula for price * discount* tax =final price

    try
    =(D10*0.8)*1.08

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: create a formula for price * discount* tax =final price

    One way:

    Assume price in A1, Discount in B1, Tax rate in C1. To get the value you
    want:

    =A1*(1-B1)*(1-C1)

    However, that seems backward to me - I'd have thought you'd subtract the
    discount, then add the tax:

    =A1*(1-B1)*(1+C1)

    As you've stated it, if you add tax to the "final price" of 7.36, you get

    =7.36 * 1.08 = 7.95

    OTOH, if you want to know what price will equal $8.00 after tax, then use

    =A1*(1-B1)/(1+C1) = 7.41

    In article <[email protected]>,

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: create a formula for price * discount* tax =final price

    Note that this formula results in $8.64, not the OP's $7.36.

  5. #5
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: create a formula for price * discount* tax =final price

    I wish I had a minus tax in Texas

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: create a formula for price * discount* tax =final price

    Yeah, your method seemed logical to me, too. I just wanted to make sure
    the difference was noted.

    In article <[email protected]>,

  7. #7
    anton
    Guest

    Re: create a formula for price * discount* tax =final price

    got it, you were right, I should have been adding it not subtracting it
    thanks