Excel closes more than one worksheet

  1. #1
    Ed
    Guest

    Excel closes more than one worksheet

    I'm running XP and the latest Office software. You know how if you have
    multiple Word docs open, you see multiple bars down on the task bar? And if
    you close one of them with the red X box at the top right (the one for the
    application, not the smaller window one), only that one particular Word file
    closes; all the rest stay open?

    Why doesn't Excel do that? Whenever I use the big red X to close out of
    something, it wants to close all Excel worksheets at once. Why is it
    different only for Excel? I'm so used to it being the other way in other
    applications that I've lost data this way on Excel.

    Is there a way to change this?

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Excel closes more than one worksheet

    Tools-->Options, View tab. Check Windows in Taskbar.
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Excel closes more than one worksheet

    Nope.

    Excel and MSWord do behave differently.

    I think the best thing to do is to train yourself not to use that X on the
    application window.

    But if your workbook is dirty (has been changed without subsequent save), then
    you will be prompted to save (or cancel). So at least it tries to help you not
    lose changes!

    I personally don't like the windows in taskbar that you're using--I like the old
    xl97 view. And then it really does look like I want to close the application
    when I click the application window X.

    (I use ctrl-tab to swap between workbooks and then I don't have to go through
    the window menu, too.)