How do I randomize a list without repeats

  1. #1
    K9CE
    Guest

    How do I randomize a list without repeats

    I have a listing ordered from 1 to 1596 that I would like to re-order -
    randomize such that no one item in the list is repeated.
    I am using Microsoft Office Excel 2003

  2. #2
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: How do I randomize a list without repeats

    Hi,
    Let's say that your list is in A1:A1596. Create a helper column, say
    B1:B1596 as follows:
    In B1, enter the formula =RAND(), and drag the formula down the column to
    B1597. Select B2:B1596, and in the SAME column, "Copy" --> "Edit
    Special"-->"Values".
    Now select both the columns and sort by column B (ascending or descending).

    Regards,
    B. R. Ramachandran

  3. #3
    K9CE
    Guest

    RE: How do I randomize a list without repeats

    WOW - Thank you every so much - I do struggle sometimes, for some reason when
    I tried to do this "my way" I kept getting repeats - again thank you,
    Maurice (K9CE)