save an excel file in fixed length records whose fields are blank

  1. #1
    ascii save
    Guest

    save an excel file in fixed length records whose fields are blank

    I need to save the data in ascii format including fields that are fixed
    length and have spaces in them. I have tried every save as type. Each column
    is formatted to the column width of that field (10cpi). For example a last
    name may be smith but that field is 15 characters long.Excel puts either a
    space or tab between fields but does not retain the spaces. please help

  2. #2

    Re: save an excel file in fixed length records whose fields are blank

    First, I'd change the font to a fixed width font--I use Courier New.

    Then widen each column to what you want and save that file as a:
    Formatted Text (Space delimited)(*.prn)

    But those files have a 240 character per line limit.

    Saved from a previous post:

    There's a limit of 240 characters per line when you save as .prn files.

    You have a few choices (try against a copy of your worksheet):

    I'd either concatenate the cell values into another column:

    =LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",5),5) & LEFT(B1&REPT(" ",4),4) & TEXT(C1,"000,000.00")

    (You'll have to modify it to match what you want.)

    Then I'd copy and paste to notepad and save from there. Once I figured out that
    ugly formula, I kept it and just unhide that column when I wanted to export the
    data.

    If that doesn't work for you, maybe you could do it with a macro.

    Here's a link that provides a macro:
    http://google.com/groups?threadm=015...280a%40phx.gbl