Annoying & unrecognised value

  1. #1

    Annoying & unrecognised value

    Hoping someone may recognise this.

    I regularly import data in to excel for use with various look up / count / if functions. Quite often I find that where I have pasted in values that they are not recognised until I go to the specific cell and hard return the value. I have tried cell format; general, number, text ect but makes no difference. I normally use paste special, values only so as not import any format or formula. Can be a real pain on large data sets........... mouse point, enter, next cell, mouse point, enter, next cell, ......

    Ay ideas ?

    D:-)

  2. #2
    Maybe its just me - does this not happen to anyone else ?

    D:-)

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Annoying & unrecognised value

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:31:01 -0500, Digory
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hoping someone may recognise this.
    >
    >I regularly import data in to excel for use with various look up /
    >count / if functions. Quite often I find that where I have pasted in
    >values that they are not recognised until I go to the specific cell and
    >hard return the value. I have tried cell format; general, number, text
    >ect but makes no difference. I normally use paste special, values only
    >so as not import any format or formula. Can be a real pain on large
    >data sets........... mouse point, enter, next cell, mouse point, enter,
    >next cell, ......
    >
    >Ay ideas ?

    Yes.

    1. Formatting will not change the type of value. For example, if a number is
    imported as TEXT, and you format the cell to be NUMBER, the value in that cell
    remains TEXT. One way of changing every numeric appearing value to a number is
    to select a blank cell; Edit/Copy; select your range where you imported;
    Edit/Paste Special ADD

    2. Sometimes when data is imported from a web sheet, there may be a trailing,
    non-printable space -- char(160). This may need to be stripped off with a
    formula before you can convert the underlying value to NUMBER.

    --ron

  4. #4
    Ron,

    Thanks - will give it a go and let you know.

    D:-)

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Annoying & unrecognised value

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:33:59 -0500, Digory
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ron,
    >
    >Thanks - will give it a go and let you know.
    >
    >D:-)

    Thanks. By the way, the name for CHAR(160) should have been "no-break space".
    It's sometimes used in HTML tables.
    --ron