Password protect cells but not the file

  1. #1

    Password protect cells but not the file

    Hi -- my worksheet is complete. I want to protect most cells, allow users to change a selected few, so I've locked cells and password protected the settings under Tools/Protection/Protect Sheet and Protect Workbook.

    What I do not want is for a password to be required to open the file. Protect cells from changes -- Yes. But require an initial password to open the file -- No.

    How to do that?

    thanks,
    Scott

  2. #2

    Re: Password protect cells but not the file

    You don't need to protect the workbook via file|saveAs|tools|options...

    You want to protect the worksheet: Tools|protection|protect sheet

    If you've already applied the password to open, then do the
    file|saveas|tools|options... and remove that password.

  3. #3
    damorrison
    Guest

    Re: Password protect cells but not the file

    "so I've locked cells and password
    protected the settings under Tools/Protection/Protect Sheet and Protect
    Workbook. "
    Unlock the cells you want the user to enter data and protect the
    worksheet only,
    there will be no problem then for people to enter data in the cells
    that need info and the positive side is that when a sheet is protected,
    and you have unlocked the cells, when a user presses the tab key the
    next unlocked cell becomes active.
    Dave

  4. #4
    Damn you guys are good. I learned something. Thanks very much for the help...

    Scott