Excel: Finding external "links" in a spreasheet

  1. #1
    CILeader
    Guest

    Excel: Finding external "links" in a spreasheet

    People send me spreadsheets to copy dat into a master spreadsheet. Since
    there is a mix of formulas and linked data, I want to identfy exactly what
    cells have links, and then I want to remove selected links. Does anyone know
    how to identify what cells have the links, without investigating each and
    every cell?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excel: Finding external "links" in a spreasheet

    Until Excel gets a native find links feature.............

    Download Bill Manville's FINDLINK.XLA from Stephen Bullen's site.

    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/Default.htm

    Click on link to MVP's

    With this add-in you can find and delete links if any exist.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    R. Choate
    Guest

    Re: Excel: Finding external "links" in a spreasheet

    Have you tried EDIT>LINKS and then checked out the list of external links there, or are you just talking about links to other sheets
    within the same workbook? One way to find links, in addition to the external link method, is to do a find for the "!" character.
    There is always an exclamation point in a link formula, so that method will find them for you and take you to them one at a time. At
    least you don't have to go looking for them. You can also temporarily have the sheet display formulas instead of results
    (TOOLS>OPTIONS>VIEW(tab), and then check the formulas radio button). Aside from that, you could either use code to find them or you
    could insert columns and write a formula that will pull out the addresses or the results of precedent cells which have links, then
    just copy down.

    RMC,CPA

  4. #4
    R. Choate
    Guest

    Re: Excel: Finding external "links" in a spreasheet

    Or yes, you could use an add-in. That is great idea.

    --
    RMC,CPA