how do i use the data in one cell as the row number of another cel

  1. #1
    vidhya
    Guest

    how do i use the data in one cell as the row number of another cel

    hello
    in one of excell sheets i have formula in one cell. in this formula i have
    a reference to a cell whose row number is the data contained in another cell.
    how do i extract this data to reference my destination cell.
    thanking in advance

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: how do i use the data in one cell as the row number of another cel

    See if this helps:
    Your formula would be more like: =INDIRECT("C"&A1)
    So, if you have a 4 in cell A1, this will return the contents of C4.
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    pinmaster
    Guest
    Hi
    Try using in INDIRECT function.
    e.g..
    A1=225
    B1=A
    C1=1

    to extract the value in A1 using both B1 and C1 has your reference then:
    =INDIRECT(B1&C1)

    or if you already know your column reference, "in this case A" then:
    =INDIRECT("A"&C1)

    HTH
    JG