Detecting Case of Text in a Cell

  1. #1
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2003

    Detecting Case of Text in a Cell

    Hi All

    I know it's possible to change the case of text in a cell in Excel using Lower, Upper and Proper, but is there a function that tells me the current case of the text?

    A user has a spreadsheet of catalogue items, some in proper case and some in upper. He wants to seperate those in upper case into a separate sheet but I can't think of an easy way of doing it.

    Can anyone help?

    Colin

  2. #2

    Re: Detecting Case of Text in a Cell

    I'd use a column with cells containing a formula like:

    =IF(EXACT(A1,UPPER(A1)),"Upper",IF(EXACT(A1,LOWER(A1)),"Lower",
    IF(EXACT(A1,PROPER(A1)),"Proper","somethingelse")))

    (all one cell)

    Then just filter on that column.

    Be aware that 1234 will be treated as Upper--same with empty cells.

  3. #3
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2003
    Dave

    That worked perfectly, thanks for your help.

    Colin