Columm sums

  1. #1
    Alex McKenzie
    Guest

    Columm sums

    Hi all
    Thanks for help in the past & future

    I have a columm of numbers to be added
    There are about 1200 of these running say
    from cells C1 down to C1200

    I normally use the =SUM(C1:C1200) function
    but often I only want to total part of these - say from
    cells 250 to 650

    I usually manually change the function each time - I am wondering
    if there is some function I could use
    where I could input say into cells B1 and B2 the numbers of the range of
    cells
    in the C columm I want to be totalled

    Many Thanks

    Alex

  2. #2
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: Columm sums

    Hi Alex,

    If cell A1 contains the row no to start from - say 6
    and cell A2 has the row no to end at - say 12

    Then
    =ADDRESS(A1,3) gives $C$6
    =ADDRESS(A2,3) gives $C$12
    and
    =SUM(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(A1,3)):INDIRECT(ADDRESS(A2,3)))
    sums C6:C12

    Ed Ferrero
    http://edferrero.m6.net/

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Columm sums

    Another way:

    =SUM(INDEX(C1:C1200,B1):INDEX(C1:C1200,B2))

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...