Would like to add 20 working/weekdays to a date

  1. #1
    Pete
    Guest

    Would like to add 20 working/weekdays to a date

    Ideally I would like a formula that will add 20 working days (British
    calendar) to a date in another cell. I don't know if this is possible so as
    an alternative, what would the formula be for 20 weekdays?

    Many thanks,
    Pete

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Would like to add 20 working/weekdays to a date

    Look at WORKDAY, it is not a native excel function but it comes
    with excel/office and it can be either installed when you first install
    office/excel or it can be added later

    =WORKDAY(A1,20,Holidays)

    where A1 is the start date, 20 is the workdays and Holidays is range with
    public holidays

    =WORKDAY(A1,20,H1:H11)

    where you would put each holiday date in H1:H11

    if you get a name error, do tools>add-ins and select ATP (Analaysis
    ToolPak), follow the directions and keep the office/excel cd handy

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Would like to add 20 working/weekdays to a date

    Without creating a formula, my approach would be:
    Add 28 calendar days. (Just add the number 28 to the starting date)
    If that result is a holiday, add another day (use a vlookup to check).
    If that result is a holiday, add another day (repeat this step for as many
    consecutive holidays as your calendar provides).
    If that result is a Saturday, add another day (use the IF and WEEKDAY
    functions).
    If that result is a Sunday, add another day.
    Hopefully that gets you started. --Bruce

  4. #4
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Would like to add 20 working/weekdays to a date

    That's perfect thanks! My next question (hopefully my last) relates to the
    addition to two further columns.

    The two columns we discussed refer to the date a request was received(A1)
    and the target date (+20 days) by which we should respond(A2). A third column
    will then log the date we actually responded(A3)...

    I would like a fourth column to log the number of working days between the
    date the request was received(A1) and our actual response date(A3). I can't
    work out how to integrate WORKDAYS into a simple '=A3-A1' formula.

    Also, to further complicate things, how would I get a value greater that 20
    (ie a late response) to show up in red?

    Thanks again for your help.

    Pete

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Would like to add 20 working/weekdays to a date

    1.

    =NETWORKDAYS(Start_date,End_date,Holidays)

    with start date in A1 and end in B1 and holidays in H1:H11

    =NETWORKDAYS(A1,B1,H1:H11)

    2.

    Select the range with the number of days

    do format>conditional formatting, select cell value is greater than
    put 20 in the value box

  6. #6
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Would like to add 20 working/weekdays to a date

    Thanks again.

    BTW I find that the NETWORKDAYS is inclusive so has to be adjusted by '-1'.

    One final question: is it possible to populate the relevent columns with the
    formulas without them showing up until until values are entered into the
    adjacent cells?

  7. #7
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Would like to add 20 working/weekdays to a date

    =IF(OR(A1="",B1=""),"",formula)

    will display as empty if either start or end are blank

  8. #8
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Would like to add 20 working/weekdays to a date

    Peo, thanks very much for all your help. It's much appreciated.

    Kind regards,
    Pete

  9. #9
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Would like to add 20 working/weekdays to a date

    My Pleasure