How do I find value on a graph between data points?

  1. #1
    Banio
    Guest

    How do I find value on a graph between data points?

    I have a set of data points, ie. x = 1,2,3,4,5,6 corresponding with
    y=4,17,18,22,15,7

    I want a cell that will work out the expected value for y for any value (ie.
    x=3.3, y=?) when the x value is provided to it from another cell. I want to
    be able to change that input cell and automatically recalculate the new value
    of y.

    I need some kind of routines that finds the data points either side of the
    required value and interpolate between them. How do I make this routine and
    carry out the interpolation?

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: How do I find value on a graph between data points?

    Although not designed for this use, the FORECAST function will do an
    excellent job of interpolating between two known point.

    It will also, of course extrapolate.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: How do I find value on a graph between data points?

    If you make a XY-Scatter chart of the x/y, you can then right click on
    the data series and select Add Trendline. Select polynomial (order 2)
    and in the options tab select Display Equation on Chart.

    This will show you that the closest function to your data is the
    quadratic:
    y = -2.4464x2 + 17.496x - 10.3

    If you have your input value in cell K1, then the formula
    =-2.4464*K1^2 + 17.496*K1 - 10.3
    will produce the value closest to your data quadratic pattern.

    HTH
    Kostis Vezerides

  4. #4
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: How do I find value on a graph between data points?

    Excel's chart smoother appears to use Bezier curves. Brian Murphy has
    posted code for Bezier curves, but the link he gave
    http://www.xlrotor.com/excel_stuff.htm
    appears to be obsolete. I

    In most cases, the difference between Bezier curves and cubic splines is
    minimal. An example where the difference is noticeable is
    http://www.google.com/groups?threadm...0no_e-mail.com
    David Braden has posted code for cubic splines, but Google changed their
    addressing and my saved link is now broken. You might find it by searching.

    Jerry

  5. #5
    David J. Braden
    Guest

    Re: How do I find value on a graph between data points?

    One additional problem w/ Bezier curves not mentioned in earlier posts: if
    you want to fit a *function* to your data, you may run into problems with
    B-curves, as they can (depending on the data) end up with non-functional
    (i.e., 1 to several) correspondences.

    Dave

  6. #6
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: How do I find value on a graph between data points?

    In article <435ECB6A.1010302@no_e-mail.com>, post_a_reply@no_e-mail.com
    says...
    > Excel's chart smoother appears to use Bezier curves. Brian Murphy has
    > posted code for Bezier curves, but the link he gave
    > http://www.xlrotor.com/excel_stuff.htm
    > appears to be obsolete. I

    http://www.xlrotor.com/resources/files.shtml

    Scroll down to 'Excel Related Tools and Sites'

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions