Relative Reference

  1. #1
    Hari
    Guest

    Relative Reference

    Hi,
    My question is I have a row and a column of values. I am trying to multiply
    the row by column and display it in a row format.
    eg

    Row 3 5 2 5

    Column

    I want the product to be displayed as
    3 20 10 30
    by using relative reference. It doesnt work for me. Pl. let me know if
    anyone has any idea.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    pinmaster
    How about something like this:
    Say you have in column A starting in A2 (1,4,5,6) and in row 1 starting in B1 (3,5,2,5) then the formula would be:
    in column B
    =B1*INDIRECT("A"&ROW(2:2)+COLUMN()-2)
    copied across

    HTH
    JG

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Relative Reference

    Hi!

    Assume:

    A1:D1 = 3;5;2;5

    A3:A6 = 1;4;6;5

    =A1*INDEX($A3:$A6,COLUMNS($A:A))

    Copy across as needed.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: Relative Reference

    Let's say your row is in cells B1:E1 and your column is in cells A2:A6.

    Select cells B2:E2, type

    =B1:E1*TRANSPOSE(A2:A5)

    and hold the Control and Shift keys while you press Enter.

  5. #5
    Mladen_Dj
    Guest

    Re: Relative Reference

    "Hari" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    > My question is I have a row and a column of values. I am trying to
    > multiply
    > the row by column and display it in a row format.

    You could use array formula with transpose function. Select 4 cells in row,
    and write a formula:

    =A1:D1*TRANSPOSE(A2:A5), and press ctrl-shift-enter.