Closed Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

expand/collapse row button

  1. #1
    caii
    Guest

    expand/collapse row button

    can I place a button any where in the worksheet to collapse/expand rows? I
    would like to place a button +/- on column D to expand/collapse row 2 to 5
    (instead of using the grouping tool where you find the button at the left
    most corner). Thank you for any assistance.

    A B C D
    row 1
    row 2
    row 3
    row 4
    row 5
    --
    caii
    Excel 2003

  2. #2
    Richard
    Guest

    Re: expand/collapse row button

    No need for a button

    You could put the following code in the Worksheet_Selection Change
    event. It will hide rows 2 to 5 whenever a cell in column D is
    selected. Similarly it will unhide the rows if column E is selected

    If you really want a button, simply use the same code in an attached
    macro.

    If Not Intersect(Target, [D:D]) Is Nothing Then
    [2:5].Rows.Hidden = True
    End If

    If Not Intersect(Target, [E:E]) Is Nothing Then
    [2:5].Rows.Hidden = False

  3. #3
    Gary76
    Guest

    RE: expand/collapse row button

    Have a look at Filter

    You could put (say) and X in column D in the rows that you want hidden and
    use Custom Filter on Columnd D (or on D1:D5) to display only cells that don't
    contain X

    Data > Filter > AutoFilter

    HTH

    Gary

  4. #4
    caii
    Guest

    RE: expand/collapse row button

    great and thanks, will try all your suggestions.
    --
    caii

    "Gary76" wrote:

    > Have a look at Filter
    >
    > You could put (say) and X in column D in the rows that you want hidden and
    > use Custom Filter on Columnd D (or on D1:D5) to display only cells that don't
    > contain X
    >
    > Data > Filter > AutoFilter
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Gary
    >
    > "caii" wrote:
    >
    > > can I place a button any where in the worksheet to collapse/expand rows? I
    > > would like to place a button +/- on column D to expand/collapse row 2 to 5
    > > (instead of using the grouping tool where you find the button at the left
    > > most corner). Thank you for any assistance.
    > >
    > > A B C D
    > > row 1
    > > row 2
    > > row 3