simple validation formula required

  1. #1
    archeti
    Guest

    simple validation formula required

    can anyone pls help me with a simple validation formula I require.

    I need to restrict entry into a cell for just 5 numerical digits (no
    alphabetic characters)

    i use the LEN function to make sure that the number of digits is exactly
    equal to five, but don't know which function to use to restrict alphabetic
    and other characters.

    please help
    thanks

  2. #2
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: simple validation formula required

    archeti,
    I typed =AND(ISNUMBER(A1), LEN(A1)=5) into the custum formula input box
    of the data validation dialog and A1 was rejected if it was not a 5
    digit number.
    Is this what you are after?

  3. #3
    archeti
    Guest

    Re: simple validation formula required

    hi ken,
    yes indeed..i've just found out about the two converse functions "isnumber"
    and "istext". they work fine....except if the user enters the % sign as part
    of his entry, which, would obviously translate into a number!

  4. #4
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: simple validation formula required

    archeti,
    I see what you mean, I added Right(A1,1)<> "%" and had no effect.
    You might have to use a worksheet_change sub.
    Ken Johnson

  5. #5

    Re: simple validation formula required

    I would think that you could use:

    Data|Validation
    Allow whole number
    between 1 and 99999

    But then use a custom format of "00000" to show any leading 0's.

  6. #6
    archeti
    Guest

    Re: simple validation formula required

    Yes Dave,
    I guess that would be another option.

    thanks to all

  7. #7
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: simple validation formula required

    This isn't particularly pretty, but I think this validation formula works
    (for a value in cell A1):

    =AND(LEN(A1)=5,ISNUMBER((-MID(A1,1,1))*(-MID(A1,2,1))*(-MID(A1,2,1))*(-MID(A1,3,1))*(-MID(A1,4,1))*(-MID(A1,5,1))))

    It checks that the length is 5 characters and that each character is a number.
    It allows leading zeros and all zeros (00000).

    Does that help?
    Ron

  8. #8

    Re: simple validation formula required

    Did you enter the value as text (leading apostrophe or preformat the cell as
    text)?

    When the cell was formatted as general, I entered 00003 and got stopped.

  9. #9
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: simple validation formula required

    Yes, I set the numeric format to TEXT....otherwise, Excel would automatically
    remove any leading zeros (which I'm sure you already knew).

    Thanks for pointing out that TEXT formattting is required.

    Ron

  10. #10

    Re: simple validation formula required

    And maybe:

    =AND(LEN(A1)=5,ISNUMBER(-A1))
    would be sufficient.

    But this smaller formula can be fooled by scientific notation:
    '132E2

    So maybe it wouldn't be ok <bg>.

  11. #11
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: simple validation formula required

    Yeah, I tried playing with =AND(LEN(A1)=5,ISNUMBER(-A1)) and couldn't get
    past: plus signs, minus signs, decimal points, commas, and fractions:

    +1234
    -12.3
    1.234
    1,234
    2 1/2

    Consequently, I had to settle for my somewhat inelegant, but functional,
    formula. Hopefully, a shorter method will turn up.

    Ron

  12. #12
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: simple validation formula required

    Hi

    One way with a bit of a cheat.
    Define Names as Pos1, Pos2 .... Pos5
    =AND(CODE(MID(Sheet5!A1,1,1))>47,CODE(MID(Sheet5!A1,1,1)<58))
    for Pos1, change the A1,1,1 to A1,2,1 A1,3,1 etc as you define each
    successive name.

    In Data Validation>Custom
    =AND(LEN(A1)=5,Pos1,Pos2,Pos3,Pos4,Pos5)

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  13. #13
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: simple validation formula required

    Hi

    Sorry the Sheet5 part is just because I happened to be on Sheet5 of the test
    workbook I was using. It has no relevance to the formulae for defining the
    Names.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  14. #14
    archeti
    Guest

    RE: simple validation formula required

    It's interesting to note the way my question evolved!!!

    ....and Ron, never mind your formula not being pretty!
    thanks to all for your valuable input.

    cheers