How can I line up 2 columns with similar information?

  1. #1
    Kathy
    Guest

    How can I line up 2 columns with similar information?

    I have 2 columns with names in each and I'd like to line them up next to each
    other.

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: How can I line up 2 columns with similar information?

    I think we'll need more information, Kathy. I don't understand what you're
    trying to do. Can you give exactly what's up?
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Kathy
    Guest

    Re: How can I line up 2 columns with similar information?

    Column A has employee number, Column B has the same employee numbers but has
    additional employee numbers, and Column C has employee social security
    numbers. If column A and B have the same number, line them up and if not put
    in a blank cell. Hopefully that makes sense.

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How can I line up 2 columns with similar information?

    Hi Kathy

    On another Sheet, Sheet2, copy all of Sheet1 Column B to Sheet2 Column A as
    this column contains the most names.
    On Sheet2 in cell B1 enter
    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A:A,1,0)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A:A,1,0))
    On Sheet2 in cell C1 enter
    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A:A,3,0)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A:A,3,0))
    Copy down for the maximum number of rows in column A of Sheet2

    Once complete, copy the complete range of data and Paste Special>Values over
    the top of the 3 columns to "fix" the data. You can then delete Sheet1 once
    you are satisfied that all of the data has come across successfully.

    Regards

    Roger Govier