Removing Unwanted Cells

  1. #1
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Bristol, UK
    MS-Off Ver

    Removing Unwanted Cells

    Hi all,

    I've inhereted a spreadsheet off a colleague, and there are LOTS of empty rows with formatting but no information (the rows with data go down to 240, but I actually have around 4,000 rows!).

    I've been able to remove the formatting, but actually reducing the number of rows is another thing all together. I've tried simly going to the bottom, selecting the empty rows and *Right-Click*>Delete, and also *Right-Click*>Clear Contents. Neither of which seem to work.

    This is really a problem of aesthetics, it would just be nice to lean up the spreadsheet a bit.

    Any ideas?

    TIA,

    SamuelT

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Removing Unwanted Cells

    Hi Samuel

    Try going to the row after the last row of data that you require to keep.
    Click on the row number to highlight the row.
    Hold down Ctrl+Shift and press the down arrow, and this should select all of
    the rows down to 65536.
    Right click>Delete.
    Save the file, close and re-open.

    If that doesn't work post back, as there is probably some VBA code somewhere
    setting the formatting.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Removing Unwanted Cells

    Selecting and deleting the empty rows should sort the problem. That said, I
    have a sheet where I can not delete some empty columns at the end. I even
    tried selecting more columns beyond the used range, but that just increased
    the last column, rather than reducing it.

    If it's a fairly straightforward sheet, try selecting the cells you want and
    copy them to a new sheet.

    --
    Ian

  4. #4
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Bristol, UK
    MS-Off Ver

    The delete, close and save worked a treat.

    Thanks very much!

    SamuelT