Vlookup is not enough !!

  1. #1
    Brian Ferris
    Guest

    Vlookup is not enough !!

    Hi there,

    Please help me out with the folliwing query. This is my data which I wish to
    lookup:

    Group name

    12 Brian
    33 Norman
    12 Victor
    12 Sonia
    25 Mary
    33 Horris
    25 Peter
    44 james
    66 Holden

    I wish to select say groups 12 & 33 and wish to obtain the following answer
    (i.e. list all under each other who belong to that group) Thereofre:

    12 Brian
    12 Victor
    12 Sonia
    33 Norman
    33 Horris

    Is this possible ... I hope I made myself clear enough. If not, please reply
    and I will elaborate further.

    Thanks,
    Brian

  2. #2
    Stefi
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup is not enough !!

    This is an Autofilter job!
    Data/Autofilter
    Click drop down arrow on column Group
    Choose equals 12 in first condition line
    Click option button OR
    Choose equals 33 in second condition line

    Optionally you should first sort your data by column Group.

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „Brian Ferris” ezt *rta:

  3. #3
    Brian Ferris
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup is not enough !!

    Hi Thanks for your answer ... however what i provided is only a simple
    example of my data ... the nunmber of groups I have in fact exceeds 100 ! The
    autofilter can never apply !!! Any other suggestions ???

  4. #4
    Stefi
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup is not enough !!

    How many groups do you want to select at a time?

    „Brian Ferris” ezt *rta:

  5. #5
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup is not enough !!

    Hi Brian

    Try using a Pivot Table.
    Mark your range of data (do not have a blank row below your headings).
    Data>Pivot Table>Next>Next>Finish
    Drag Group to Row area, drag Name to Row Area drag Name to Data area
    Use the drop down on Group to select just the groups of interest.

    For more information on Pivot Tables take a look at
    and

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  6. #6

    Re: Vlookup is not enough !!

    Maybe using data|Filter|advanced filter would work:
    http://contextures.com/xladvfilter02.html
    (Debra Dalgleish's site)

    I sometimes use another column that evaluates to true/false based on some
    criteria. Then filter on that:

    Maybe something like:
    =OR(A2={13,14,15})