Appen " ' " to all cells

  1. #1
    WhoC@nItbN0W
    Guest

    Appen " ' " to all cells

    I need to import my 'excel based' contact list into Outlook2003. However, to
    do this the character ' needs to be appended to all cells if Outlook has to
    read the data.
    Any idea on how to do this?

    Regards

  2. #2
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Appen " ' " to all cells

    I assume you need to append ' to the beginning of the data. If you need it
    at the end, reverse the order of the 2 components after the = sign (around
    the & symbol).
    Change the r & c ranges to suit your rows & columns.

    Sub appendcharacter()
    For c = 1 To 10
    For r = 1 To 10
    Cells(r, c).Value = "'" & Cells(r, c).Value
    Next r
    Next c

    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Appen " ' " to all cells

    Hi

    Try entering in another column to the right of all of your contact fields
    ="'"&A1 where A is the column you wish to change. Change letter for each
    successive column you need to alter.
    Copy down the column(s)

    Copy the whole range of new Data >Paste Special>Values to "fix" the values
    as absolute values instead of formulae.

    You did say append. If you truly meant that, then change the formula round
    to put the "'" after the cell value.
    =A1&"'"

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  4. #4
    WhoC@nItbN0W
    Guest

    Re: Appen " ' " to all cells

    Hi:

    1. Apologise for the typo.

    2. Ok, while this seems to work in terms of "append to the beginning" (or
    end), Outlook doesnt still seem to like it. So I did some research.

    3. I created a "Contact" and exported it into excel. Now while the " ' "
    shows up before the data in the cell, actually it is not visible! "Name
    Ranges" I think they call it.

    4. So I am back to square one.

  5. #5
    WhoC@nItbN0W
    Guest

    Re: Appen " ' " to all cells

    Great ... Save the xls as .csv ... the import works fine! phew ...

    Thanks for the help guys