Count by color using VBA in Microsoft Excel

  1. #1
    Kam
    Guest

    Count by color using VBA in Microsoft Excel

    I am having the following formula to count on the basis of colour. For example
    Total 12 cell out of which Red - 1, Yellow - 5 & Green - 6 so by using this
    formula this should give proper count as mentioned above.

    I need you assistance as i have never used macro using VBA in Microsoft
    Excel.

    Could you please guide me (Step by Step) how to run this macro in excel.

    Appreciate your kind assistance.

    Thanks in advance.
    Kamlesh

    Function CountByColor(InputRange As Range, ColorRange as Range) As Long
    Dim cl As Range, TempCount As Long, ColorIndex As Integer
    ColorIndex = ColorRange.Cells(1, 1).Interior.ColorIndex
    TempCount = 0
    For Each cl In InputRange.Cells
    If cl.Interior.ColorIndex = ColorIndex Then
    TempCount = TempCount + 1
    End If
    Next cl
    Set cl = Nothing
    CountByColor = TempCount
    End Function

  2. #2
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: Count by color using VBA in Microsoft Excel

    Hi Kam

    Copy the code to the clipboard.
    In Excel press Alt+F11.
    This will open the Visual Basic Editor (VBE).
    From the menus select Insert>Module.
    Paste the code into the new module (major white part on right of screen).
    Click on the Excel icon (Left most button on toolbar) to return to Excel.
    In the cell that you want your result type the formula:
    =countbycolor(D4:D16,D4)
    Where D4:D16 is the range of cells you want to check and D4 is a single
    cell which is set to the colour you are wanting to count. This does not
    need to be in the first range.

    Hope this helps
    Rowan