Can't Find Recently Used Files List

  1. #1
    Bob Stringer
    Guest

    Can't Find Recently Used Files List

    I have Excel 2000 running on WinXP SP2.

    In Tools | Options | General tab, I have checked Recently
    used file list checked and set for 9 entries, but the File
    menu doesn't have an MRU list.

    Either I'm not understanding something basic, or I need to
    fix Excel. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

    Thanks.
    --

    Bob Stringer

  2. #2
    Silvabod
    Guest

    Re: Can't Find Recently Used Files List

    On your pc, do you have any "housekeeping" utilities running which clear
    "junk" - and is it/they set to clear MRU lists? Might not be Excel that's at
    fault ...

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Can't Find Recently Used Files List

    Have you actually opened any files since checking that option? It is not
    retrospective.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bob Stringer
    Guest

    Re: Can't Find Recently Used Files List

    "Silvabod" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On your pc, do you have any "housekeeping" utilities
    > running which clear "junk" - and is it/they set to clear
    > MRU lists? Might not be Excel that's at fault ...

    I have to allow for the possibility that I'm caught in an
    extended senior moment, and that I did install something in
    the past, but I'm *pretty* sure that I didn't. I also have
    Word 2000, and it always shows an MRU list. If I had ever
    removed the MRU list in Excel, I'm sure I would have done it
    in Work as well.

    But thanks for the idea. I'll inventory what I have on the
    computer this weekend, just to be sure that there isn't a
    third party culprit.

    --

    Bob Stringer

  5. #5
    Bob Stringer

    "Bob Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Have you actually opened any files since checking that
    > option? It is not retrospective.

    Yes I have.

    Actually, it has been checked all along. I don't use Excel a
    whole lot -- usually just one or two files at a time -- and
    I've never looked for the MRU list before. I had to look at
    the help file this morning to quickly find out where the
    setting was, and when I opened it it was already checked.

    Just to be sure, though, I just opened a couple files,
    "edited" them by typing and deleting a character and then
    saving, and they still don't show on the list.

    If any other possibilities occur to you, please let me know.

    Thanks.
    --

    Bob Stringer

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Can't Find Recently Used Files List

    Do you have TweakUI installed, if you use the clear recently used documents
    in Windows it will clear the Office too

    Peo Sjoblom

  7. #7
    Bob Stringer

    "Peo Sjoblom" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Do you have TweakUI installed, if you use the clear
    > recently used documents in Windows it will clear the
    > Office too

    I have it, but I haven't used it in recent memory -- not to
    clear MRU, anyway.

    It occurs to me that Ad-Aware can clean out MRU lists, and I
    have Ad-Aware, but I don't remember recently using it for
    that purpose.

    In any case, opening, editing and saving Excel documents
    still isn't creating the MRU list. And so the problem is
    persisting, whatever the original reason that the MRU list
    went away (*assuming* the list was ever there in the first
    place -- I really don't know since I never looked for it in
    Excel before).

    Still, any suggestions appreciated.

    Thanks.
    --