COUNTIFs with multiple criteria

  1. #1
    Cene K
    Guest

    COUNTIFs with multiple criteria

    I have a column with a list of names and a table with those same names
    repeated many times with a value from one to five in the column next to them.
    I need a formula that will first determine if a name in my list matches the
    name in the table, and then tally the number of times the value "1" occurs.

    It seems like I should be using a COUNTIF and some sort of lookup table, but
    I can't seem to get it right. Can anyone help?

  2. #2
    Gary76
    Guest

    RE: COUNTIFs with multiple criteria

    Look at SUMIF

    =SUMIF(rangewithnamesmanytimes,cellwithnamein,rangewithnumbers)

    HTH

  3. #3
    Cene K
    Guest

    RE: COUNTIFs with multiple criteria

    This is closer, but still not what I need. Let me show you what I mean.

    I have "Name1" in A5, and my table in columns R and S. It looks something
    like this:

    Name1 3
    Name1 5
    Name1 3
    Name1 4
    Name1 1
    Name1 1
    Name2 4
    Name2 3
    Name2 4
    Name2 1
    Name3 2
    . . . and so on

    =SUMIF(R:R,A5,S:S) returns 18 because it is summing all the values where
    Name1 is in column R. I need something that will give me a count of the
    number of times "1" appears, so my result should be 2. Preferably something
    that I can also use to tally the number of times 2, 3, 4, and 5 appear as
    well.

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: COUNTIFs with multiple criteria

    Try this:

    =SUMPRODUCT((R1:R100=A5)*(S1:S100=1))

    You could also use a cell reference to contain the number you're looking
    for, just as you used A5 to contain the name.

    =SUMPRODUCT((R1:R100=A5)*(S1:S100=A6))

    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Cene K
    Guest

    Re: COUNTIFs with multiple criteria

    That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

  6. #6
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: COUNTIFs with multiple criteria