Nesting a sheet name reference within a cell reference???

  1. #1
    Broyston
    Guest

    Nesting a sheet name reference within a cell reference???

    I'm referencing a cell in another worksheet in my workbook, but I want to be
    able to define which sheet is referenced in the formula by choosing the sheet
    name from another cell. Let's say cell A1 in Sheet1 of the workbook has the
    value "Sheet 2" and I want cell A2 in Sheet 1 to reference cell B15 in Sheet
    2. Instead of my formula being ='Sheet 2'!B15, I would like the sheet name
    to be a separate reference. In other words, I want the formula to be:
    ='[reference Sheet 1 cell A1 to get the tab name]'!B15.

    This way I can create a list with a dropdown box, and change the sheet name
    to bring up numbers from different, identically formatted, sheets.

    Anyone know how to do this?

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Nesting a sheet name reference within a cell reference???

    try
    =indirect("'"&A1&"'!B15")

  3. #3
    GregR
    Guest

    Re: Nesting a sheet name reference within a cell reference???

    Same questions, but get B15 to increment as it is filled down. TIA

    Greg

  4. #4
    Broyston
    Guest

    RE: Nesting a sheet name reference within a cell reference???

    Many thanks!

  5. #5
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Nesting a sheet name reference within a cell reference???

    One way:

    =INDIRECT("'"&$A$1&"'!B"&ROW(A15))

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    GregR
    Guest

    Re: Nesting a sheet name reference within a cell reference???

    RagDyer, thank you

    Greg

  7. #7
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Nesting a sheet name reference within a cell reference???

    Appreciate the feed-back.