Extracting a character from a string of characters

  1. #1
    Sue
    Guest

    Extracting a character from a string of characters

    I would like to extract the 6th character (the 5) from the following example
    of a string of characters e.g.B123456789.

  2. #2
    =mid(The String,6,1)

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Extracting a character from a string of characters

    Have a look in HELP index for MID

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Naz
    Guest

    RE: Extracting a character from a string of characters

    If its always the 6th character use MID
    i.e. if B123456789 was in cell A1

    =MID(a1,6,1)

    --

    _______________________
    Naz,

  5. #5
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Extracting a character from a string of characters

    To be different, try this:

    =RIGHT(LEFT(A1,6))

    OR,
    To be conventional:

    =MID(A1,6,1)
    --

    HTH,

    RD

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Extracting a character from a string of characters

    IN addition to the formula answers given, you can also do this by using the
    data > TextToColumns feature........and set the column breakes where you
    wish, then, if desired, you can later concatenate the string back together
    without the old 6th character.......or change it if desired.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  7. #7
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Extracting a character from a string of characters

    This will allow you to change the 6th character to whatever value is in cell

    =LEFT(A1,5)&F1&MID(A1,7,99)

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3