edit replace

  1. #1
    Tee
    Guest

    edit replace

    The company that I work for has recently changed their name, we have
    literally thousands of spreadsheets with the old name on. Is there any way
    that I can do edit replace over a whole file?

  2. #2
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    RE: edit replace

    In Excel 2003, there's an option to specify the whole workbook when doing a
    search and replace. This would get around having to S&R on each worksheet in
    a workbook. Otherwise, you might have to write some VBA Code. As far as
    S&Ring over multiple workbooks, i'd suggest you DEFINITELY need some VBA code!

    Regards

    Pete

  3. #3
    Tee
    Guest

    RE: edit replace

    I take it this would be fairly complex?

  4. #4
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    RE: edit replace

    Well, the first thing is, do you have the "Whole Workbook" option in Search
    and Replace in your version of Excel?

    How many workbooks are we talking about?

    Are they all in the same folder, or in different folders?

    Pete

  5. #5

    Re: edit replace

    Since you're doing Edit|replace, you should be able to group the worksheets you
    want changed.

    Rightclick on a worksheet
    choose "Select all Sheets"
    select all the cells
    (use that little button to the left of the column headers and above the row
    numbers)

    Edit|Replace
    replace all

    And remember to ungroup the sheets
    right click on any of the worksheet tabs and choose ungroup sheets.

    Be aware that this won't touch your headers/footers.

    And Jan Karel Pieterse's FlexFind offers this capability, too:
    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/

  6. #6
    Tee
    Guest

    RE: edit replace

    Hi Peter

    Yes i do have the workbook option in my version of excel, and we are
    probably talking about 100 or so spreadsheets, all in different folders...

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: edit replace

    Tee

    Just curious.....How did you get from "literally thousands of spreadsheets"
    down to 100 or so?

    Liberal weeding?

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP