File naming conventions

  1. #1

    File naming conventions

    I received an excel worksheet. It's named "fileA 24Aug2005.xls". When i open it up on my mac in excel, the date truncates to something like "fileA #17D114.xls. This wouldn't be a problem, except that when i print their file from my computer, the new name, prints at the bottom of the worksheet which won't fly because the new name printed wouldn't match their database.

    2 questions.

    1) where is this file name stored and where is the command that tells it to print at the bottom, because i don't see it on my screen, only the printed copy.

    2) how can i open a file without changing the system changing the name?

    very grateful for any insight.

    Mary

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by gidget
    I received an excel worksheet. It's named "fileA 24Aug2005.xls". When i open it up on my mac in excel, the date truncates to something like "fileA #17D114.xls. This wouldn't be a problem, except that when i print their file from my computer, the new name, prints at the bottom of the worksheet which won't fly because the new name printed wouldn't match their database.

    2 questions.

    1) where is this file name stored and where is the command that tells it to print at the bottom, because i don't see it on my screen, only the printed copy.

    2) how can i open a file without changing the system changing the name?

    very grateful for any insight.

    Mary
    Hi Mary

    The file name at the bottom is probably in Footers, click View > Header and Footer, under footer click the down arrow and select none

    Don't know how it changes the name sorry
    Paul

  3. #3

    getting there

    Paul - thanks for the tip, that worked.

    now i just need to figure out why when i open the original file, the name changes on me. i have 54 files and they all end with a date like 24Aug05. that's the part that changes on me. it must have something to do with an auto naming from the original user?

    i was poking around in the footer section and went to the section where you could insert the &[File]. that's the part that's going to goof me up unless i can somehow prevent it from renaming the file. thanks your help and thanks for any insight.

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: File naming conventions

    XL v.X limits filenames to 31 characters - if the filename exceeds that
    length, the last few characters are hashed (not on the original file,
    but in the titlebar and internally during the session, such as with the
    filename in the View/Header and footer dialog). OS X doesn't change the
    filename, and if you save the file, the name is preserved, unless you do
    a Save As.

    XL04 removed that restriction.

    There's no workaround within XL. However, there are applescripts that
    allow you to batch change filenames to shorter versions. Of course, the
    filenames still wouldn't match "their" database.

  5. #5

    file name - save vs save as

    thanks so much for those words of wisdom. at least i can explain it to the client! thanks again...

  6. #6

    Upgrading to XL04

    Hello again, i'm at it again with this crazy file name problem. This question is so stupid, how can i upgrade to XL04? is this free or paid? - i'm currently at Excel X Version 10.1.0 on the Mac. Can someone simply point me to the correct site to download the correct patch for this naming issue? Microsoft is so cumbersome that I'm half crazy trying to decipher what i need... thanks so much for any insight...
    Mary

  7. #7

    Re: File naming conventions

    If you don't get an answer in this newsgroup, maybe you'll get one here:

  8. #8
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: File naming conventions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    gidget <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hello again, i'm at it again with this crazy file name problem. This
    > question is so stupid, how can i upgrade to XL04? is this free or paid?
    > - i'm currently at Excel X Version 10.1.0 on the Mac. Can someone simply
    > point me to the correct site to download the correct patch for this
    > naming issue? Microsoft is so cumbersome that I'm half crazy trying to
    > decipher what i need... thanks so much for any insight...

    There's no patch. MacOffice v.X uses Mac OS X system routines that are
    limited to 32 characters, so it will never be able to generate long file
    names.

    Note that you're using a very old version of Office v.X - the latest
    update is 10.1.6, which you can download, free, from MacTopia Downloads:

    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx

    Again, you can open files with long names in Office v.X, and save them
    again without a problem, even though you'll see the hashed name in the
    title bar. You just can't use Save As with a long name - though you can
    Save As with a short name and then rename the file in Finder. Depending
    on the structure of your filenames, you might even be able to automate
    this using a Folder Action script.

    MacOffice 2004 is an upgrade product, which means you'll have to pay for
    it. Go to MacTopia:

    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/

    where, about half-way down the page is a section labeled "How to buy".