YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

  1. #1
    Pheasant Plucker®
    Guest

    YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    I'll never get the hang of this...:-(

    I had a similar problem recently that was solved in this ng (Thanks Dave:-)
    but have a related problem that I thought I could solve by applying the same
    logic - alas it was not meant to be for me :-(

    I want to use Conditional Formatting to achieve the following - if the value
    in Cell H15 is lower than 75 then colour it red.

    This I can achieve quite easily by using the following in Condition 1:

    If Cell Value is Less Than 75 then Format Pattern Red

    However I do not want the cell to be coloured Red if there is no value in
    there at all - I only want to be able to turn the cell red after I have
    input the value and that value is less than 75

    Obviously I need to test for input in H15 prior to checking if it is below
    75 and invoking the colour change if it is - leaving no change if it has no
    value or is 75 or above.

    I have tried using a COUNTA but cannot seem to get it to work.

    Can some kind soul help me out on this one (again) please?

    --
    Thanks & regards,
    -pp-

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    Hi!

    Just a little tweak is all you need.

    Use the Formula Is option
    Formula is: =AND(ISNUMBER(H15),H15<75)

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    Change the format condition to "Formua Is" rather than "Cell Value Is"
    and enter this formula;

    =AND(H15>0,H15<75)

    You can still have the same red background format.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  4. #4
    Pheasant Plucker®
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    Thanks for the quick reply Biff.

    Did I miss something here or was my original post not as clear as it should
    have been...

    I tried your formula but even though at rest the cell is clear (good) if I
    enter 75 or above the Cell is still red (bad)?

    I only want it to change to Red if below 75 - if 75 or above I do not want
    to colour it - just leave it as a normal cell...

    Thanks for your patience!

    Regards,
    -=pp=-

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Pheasant Plucker®
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    Thanks for the quick reply Pete,

    I must have missed something here as both suggestions from yourself & Biff
    did not work for me...

    I tried your formula but even though at rest the cell is clear (good) if I
    enter 75 or above the Cell is still red (bad)?

    I only want it to change to Red if below 75 - if 75 or above I do not want
    to colour it - just leave it as a normal cell...

    Thanks for your patience also!

    Regards,
    -=pp=-

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    Hmmm.....

    Do you have any other conditions? Condition 2 and/or condition 3?

    If this is the ONLY condition it should work!

  7. #7
    Pheasant Plucker®
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    Hi Biff,

    No...no other conditions at all...

    No formula in the cell either...wait a minute...would it matter if the
    Format Cells/Number is set for a Percentage?
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    Yup...that's it...if I set it to a number it works as you guys thought it
    would.

    OK...how's about my setting it to a number instead of a percentage?

    Or what should the formula be if I left it as a percentage?

    <mind racing away here>

    What would the Conditional Formatting be if I wanted H15 to be left
    uncoloured if there is no value, red if the value is below 75 and green if
    75 or above?

    Sorry for all the questions...

  8. #8
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    >would it matter if the Format Cells/Number is set for a Percentage?

    Bingo!

    So, change the formula to:

    =AND(ISNUMBER(H15),H15<0.75)

  9. #9
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    Oops!

    Missed this portion:

    >What would the Conditional Formatting be if I wanted H15 to be left
    >uncoloured if there is no value, red if the value is below 75 and green if
    >75 or above?

    Condition 1
    Formula is: =AND(ISNUMBER(H15),H15<0.75)
    Set color to RED

    Condition 2
    Formula is: =AND(ISNUMBER(H15),H15>=0.75)
    Set color to GREEN

  10. #10
    Pheasant Plucker®
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    Thanks Biff,

    I have moved away from the Percentage and formatted the cell as a number.

    I see you use ISNUMBER in your formula

    I currently have;

    Condition 1
    Formula Is =AND(H15>0,H15<75)
    Pattern RED

    Condition 2
    Cell Value Is greater than or equal To 75
    Pattern GREEN

    Does that have any impact upon anything else or would the two ISNUMBER
    formulae be the 'correct' way to go?

    I only used AND as it was shorter, easier to type and reduced the chance of
    me making a mistake!

    One last question if I may...as I use H15 & H16 to input the scores of what
    I call Pre and Post Test results is there a way to highlight H16 if it turns
    out to be lower than the score in H15?

    Theoretically the Post Test score would usually be higher but it would be
    good to flag it if it turns out to be lower than the Pre Test score.

    Would this be complicated to achieve?

  11. #11
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    Choose Formula Is and type in the following:

    =AND(NOT(ISBLANK(H15)),H15<75)

  12. #12
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    You and Biff seem to have got to the bottom of this - sorry I wasn't
    around (live football on TV!)

    Pete

  13. #13
    Pheasant Plucker®
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    Hey Pete,

    Priorities...I am the sad one! ;^)

    Kind regards,

  14. #14
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    snip>>>>>>

    Condition 1
    Formula Is =AND(H15>0,H15<75)
    Pattern RED

    Condition 2
    Cell Value Is greater than or equal To 75
    Pattern GREEN

    Does that have any impact upon anything else or would the two ISNUMBER
    formulae be the 'correct' way to go?

    snip>>>>>>

    Try entering a text value in cell H15 and see what happens.

    I use Isnumber to add a little more robutness. Isnumber eliminates the empty
    cell problem and the TEXT problem at the same time. I always use the
    "Formula is" option. Just my personal preference, but writing a formula
    gives you more versatility.

    > One last question if I may...as I use H15 & H16 to input the scores of
    > what
    > I call Pre and Post Test results is there a way to highlight H16 if it
    > turns
    > out to be lower than the score in H15?

    For H16:

    Formula is: =AND(COUNT(H15,H16)=2,H16<H15)

    Using Count makes sure both cells are not empty and both cells contain
    numbers and it's shorter than:

    =AND(ISNUMBER(H15),ISNUMBER(H16),H16<H15)
    =AND(COUNT(H15,H16)=2,H16<H15)

  15. #15
    Pheasant Plucker®
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    Thanks for your patience and the great help Biff.

    I have changed the CF to use ISNUMBER in both conditions in H15 and have
    plugged in your Formula Is in the CF for H16 and al works well.

    Thanks again & kind regards,

  16. #16
    Pheasant Plucker®
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    Sorry...me again...:-/

    Last question for you I promise... ;^)

    Can I modify H16 slightly whereby if the value in H16 is lower than H15 it
    is highlighted RED (by using your formula this works as expected) but with
    the proviso if H16 is below 75 then it turns RED anyway even if it is higher
    than H15?

    Currently with your CF formula in the scenario above, i.e. if H15 is 70 and
    H16 is 74 then H16 is not flagged RED because it is higher than H15 but it
    needs to be flagged RED as it is still lower than the 75 pass mark.

    Does that make sense Biff?

    I know what I mean but it is late and I am tired...;^)

  17. #17
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

    No problem!

    Try this:

    =AND(COUNT(H15,H16)=2,OR(H16<H15,H16<75))