Is it possible to get a sub-total of amounts when...

  1. #1
    marsha
    Guest

    Is it possible to get a sub-total of amounts when...

    When I sort a simple list of contributions (for instance) and it groups say
    weekly
    contributions to an organization, is it possible to get a sub-total for that
    grouping???
    If so, how?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to get a sub-total of amounts when...

    If the list you want to sort went from B1:B1000, in B1001 try:
    =SUBTOTAL(9,B1:B1000)
    Regards,
    Alan.
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    marsha
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to get a sub-total of amounts when...

    I would like to understand this but I am too much of a novice.
    If the column B is the companies (that are sorted) and column C is
    the amounts. Exactly how do I make Excel 2003 do that?
    Thanks Alan!!

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to get a sub-total of amounts when...

    You can use the Subtotal command --

    Select a cell in the table
    Choose Data > Subtotals
    From the first dropdown, choose Companies
    In the Add subtotal to list, add a check mark to Amount
    Click OK

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  5. #5
    marsha
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to get a sub-total of amounts when...

    "Debra Dalgleish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You can use the Subtotal command --
    >
    > Select a cell in the table
    > Choose Data > Subtotals
    > From the first dropdown, choose Companies
    > In the Add subtotal to list, add a check mark to Amount
    > Click OK

    Thanks Debra,
    I will try this tomorrow when brain is alive.
    And I will be sure to let you know how I do!
    Thanks again to all,