searching cells - displaying data

  1. #1
    davemel
    Guest

    searching cells - displaying data

    Excel 2000 - I have a column of cells that contains values but some have a cr
    at the end of them to signify that it is a credit, see example below.

    column M
    223,334.64cr
    2222.88
    12345.88cr

    I want to do 2 things;
    1. check the cells in M column and if there is a cr in the cell place the
    text cr into the next column i.e column N. If there is no cr then i want to
    pur dr into column N
    2. If the cell in column M contains cr i want to delete the cr so that only
    the value is left, ie 12345.88cr to become 12345.88

    So i am looking for a worksheet as below;

    column M Column N
    223,334.64 cr
    2222.88 dr
    12345.88 cr

    I have been playing around with search and replace commands but i am
    struggling to solve it.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    tina
    Guest

    RE: searching cells - displaying data

    Hi davemel
    Try
    in cell n1 enter formula
    =if(iserr(find("cr",n1)),"dr","cr")
    copy down rest of column
    then
    copy and paste special to values
    then you can highlight column m and replace cr with nothing
    Tina