Time formatt

  1. #1
    Bash
    Guest

    Time formatt

    I work for a call center where in a process I keep the track of time duration
    of calls. I want to write a time durations in the formatt of hh:mm:ss.
    However if I write say 53:12:49 (where it should mean 53 hours, 12 minutes
    and 49 seconds) excel takes it as 1/2/1900 5:12:49 AM. Even if I go to
    formatt and change the data type to hh:mm:ss it remains the same.

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Time formatt

    Use this format instead, Bash:
    [h]:mm:ss
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bash
    Guest

    Re: Time formatt

    I tried it. Its not helping.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Bash,

    I tried Anne's suggestion and, at first, it didn't work, Excel did not want to keep the improper format.

    Then I read the 'Convert' function and loaded the Add-in Analysis ToolPak (Tools - Add-ins..) and closed / re-opened the Workbook.

    Now it shows the 53 hours in Anne's [h]:mm:ss format.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bash
    I tried it. Its not helping.

  5. #5
    Bash
    Guest

    Re: Time formatt

    Bryan,

    I added the Analysis ToolPak, changed the format to [h]:mm:ss and then
    closed and opened the excel. Its not happening, I still see it in '1/2/1900
    5:12:49 AM' formatt in the formula bar . I did not quite understand how
    'Convert' function should be used is this. May be that's where I am going
    wrong.

    Bash

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Bash,

    No idea why it isn't working for you, nor what the AddIn does, just noticed it in testing.

    I re-checked and do have some cells formatted for [hhh]:mm:ss and some as [h]:mm:ss, both work as expected, with improper hours.
    I didn't use the 'Convert', was just reading up on that when I fond the reference to the ToolPak

    That is in Excel 2003 SP1.

    [QUOTE=Bash]Bryan,

    I added the Analysis ToolPak, changed the format to [h]:mm:ss and then
    closed and opened the excel. Its not happening, I still see it in '1/2/1900
    5:12:49 AM' formatt in the formula bar . I did not quite understand how
    'Convert' function should be used is this. May be that's where I am going
    wrong.

    Bash

    [color=blue]

  7. #7
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Time formatt

    On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 18:58:01 -0800, "Bash" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I work for a call center where in a process I keep the track of time duration
    >of calls. I want to write a time durations in the formatt of hh:mm:ss.
    >However if I write say 53:12:49 (where it should mean 53 hours, 12 minutes
    >and 49 seconds) excel takes it as 1/2/1900 5:12:49 AM. Even if I go to
    >formatt and change the data type to hh:mm:ss it remains the same.

    You'll have to ignore what you see in the formula bar.

    Format the cell as [h]:mm:ss.

    Any mathematical operations will work OK.

    So far as Excel is concerned, 53:12:49 is stored as 2.21723380 and is
    equivalent to 1/2/1900 5:12:49 AM

    --ron

  8. #8
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Time formatt

    Bash: You will always see that in the formula bar. Excel stores times and
    dates in that format regardless. If you want it to be able to add up those
    values, you have no choice really. I'm pretty sure I'm correct about this.
    If you don't, you could probably put a custom format on the cell and enter
    the numbers without the colons. Try: 00":"00":"00 in the custom format.
    You may need to read Chip's article:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm#SerialDates
    ************

  9. #9
    Bash
    Guest

    Re: Time formatt

    Ron, Bryan, Anne,

    Thanks for your help. It was great researching something that has troubled
    me for long. Although the format [hh:mm:ss] that I use allows me to perform
    any mathematical operation. However, what troubled me was the way it appears
    in the formula bar, I always wondered how could I have the formula bar say
    what I mean
    Ron has settled it by saying it will remain the same.

    Thanks again.