if / or formulas

  1. #1
    jamesg-fid
    Guest

    if / or formulas

    i build a spreadhseet daily of portfolio positions and the percentage that
    each stock takes of the total portfolio value......the individual positions
    are cut and paste from another system striaght to excel.....at the end of
    this vertical list of positions I add a 'total' amount. Obviously the number
    of positions changes on a daily basis.
    what I also want to add is a table that says if any one single stock is over
    three percent of the portfolio value, so i need formula(e) that looks down
    the list and tells me if the number is greater than three. However the range
    of cells will change on a daily basis and I dont want to manually enter
    =or(b3>3,orb4?3,b5>3,b6>3.....) and change it on a daily basis (also the risk
    of manual error)

    i have toyed with the idea of =if(cell="total",0,1), this way a column
    comes up with 1 next to all the postions, and a 0 next to the total amount,
    then use
    =match(0,column range,1) - this then tells me the number of cells there are
    with stock positions in to look at to see if any number is greater than
    3.....however what formula can i use that looks at each cell in this range
    individually that tells me if any one of the cells is higher than three ?

    thanks
    James

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: if / or formulas

    James,

    How about conditional formatting.

    By selecting all the cells, and use a formula of =(B3/SUM(B:B))>0.03

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jamesg-fid
    Guest

    Re: if / or formulas

    cheers Bob - will this look at individual cell totals and return if any one
    of them is greater than 3 ? or is it an average of one cell to the range of
    the whole ?
    thanks again

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: if / or formulas

    James,

    The way I had it, I looks to see whether any cell is greater than 3% of the
    total. If you want any greater than 3, it is just =B3>3.

    BTW, when doing CF, select all cells to apply it to, but use a cell
    reference in the formula of the active cell.

  5. #5
    jamesg-fid
    Guest

    Re: if / or formulas

    is there a way though that I can have one single cell that reads all of these
    and tells me if there if any one or more of these is greater than 3% - ie a
    simple "true""false" formula ?

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: if / or formulas

    James,

    This should do it

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(F1:F1000/SUM(F1:F1000)>3%))>0