Rounding Decimals

  1. #1
    Jim May
    Guest

    Rounding Decimals

    I've got 2 or 3 thousand figures
    that display as (sample) 22.3% with actually
    22.2849565849694 in the cell.
    I need to "do what" ? in order to convert
    them to display 22.28% with actually
    ..2228 in the cell?

    Tks in advance

  2. #2
    Netherlands Waddinxveen
    format the cells and look at the function off 0 and # in a format String

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Rounding Decimals

    Format as '0.00%' without the quotes.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Rounding Decimals

    If you want the actual value to be .2228 and the cell is actually
    22.2849565... (and not a formula that results in that value), then you'll
    have to create another column and do something like this: =round(a1/100,4).
    Then convert those formulas to values and delete your original column.
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

  5. #5
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Rounding Decimals

    Since you want .2228 in the cell, you are looking to round to the 4th decimal
    place. You'd use

    =ROUND(.222849565849694,4)

    or

    =ROUND(A1,4)

    You may also want to look at the Help file for info on the TRUNC() ,
    ROUNDUP() and ROUNDDOWN() functions

  6. #6
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Rounding Decimals

    Hi Jim

    One way
    =ROUND(A1*100,4)/10000
    Format cell as number with 4 decimal places, or Percentage with 2 decimal
    places.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  7. #7
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Rounding Decimals

    Forgot to mention: put the ROUND() formula into an empty column adjacent to
    your numbers and copy it all the to the end. Now select all the cells with
    the new formula, copy them, select the original numbers and use
    Edit->Paste Special-> Values to overwrite them with what you want.

    BE SURE TO WORK ON A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR DATA

  8. #8
    Jim May
    Guest

    RE: Rounding Decimals

    =ROUND(A1,4) works perfectly;
    Thanks,
    Jim

  9. #9
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: Rounding Decimals

    Tools->Options->Calculation->Precision as Displayed

    will round all numbers to the format you display them. Be carefull you will
    permanently lose any accuracy. Also, after you finish you might want to turn
    it off. It does funny things with formulas. For instance
    A1=1+0.123
    A2=A1

    A2 will equal 1.12000000000000 if A1 is formatted to two decimal places and
    you have "Precision as Displayed" checked.

    "Precision as Displayed" is perfect for rounding massive amounts of imported
    data, but I have not found any other viable use for it. Hope this helps.