Can I make if functions based on fill color?

  1. #1

    Can I make if functions based on fill color?

    Hi, and thanks in advance for considering my question. Basically I need to be able to sum a range of values in a very large spreadsheet based on whether or not the cells have a fill color. I've tried looking up the help files on if and sumif but they don't specify whether or not this is possible... Anyone know?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Can I make if functions based on fill color?

    You can but it is flawed as a colour change does not trigger worksheet
    recalculation

    Function GetColorindex(rng As Range)
    GetColindex = rng.Interior.Colorindex
    End Function

    =If(GetColorindex(A2)=3,1,0)

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: Can I make if functions based on fill color?

    Maybe you can tweak this code to suit your needs. Sums the values of the
    orange, red and green colored cells in a named range, "Data". Does not work
    if cell color is due to conditional formatting. Dave McRitchie has a site
    that deals with this very thing on the professional level, but I misplaced
    the link, sorry.

    Sub SumColorCount()
    Dim Orange46 As Integer, _
    Red3 As Integer, _
    Green4 As Integer
    Dim Cell As Range

    For Each Cell In Range("Data")
    If Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 46 Then
    Orange46 = Orange46 + Cell.Value
    ElseIf Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 3 Then
    Red3 = Red3 + Cell.Value
    ElseIf Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 4 Then
    Green4 = Green4 + Cell.Value
    End If
    Next

    Range("F10").Value = "Orange = " & Orange46
    Range("F11").Value = "Red = " & Red3
    Range("F12").Value = "Green = " & Green4

    MsgBox " You have: " & vbCr _
    & vbCr & " Orange " & Orange46 _
    & vbCr & " Red " & Red3 _
    & vbCr & " Green " & Green4, _