Can I make formulas more flexible?

  1. #1
    George
    Guest

    Can I make formulas more flexible?

    Hi,

    I have a table with a certain number of rows. I don't know how many rows
    there are in the table. I can make a data cell that holds the number of cells
    in a particular column.

    My question is this - Can I then use this figure to make a range to be able
    to use inside other formulas in the worksheet?

    For instance, the data cell works out there's 743 valid rows in the sheet.
    Can I then use this to make a formula in another cell?

    I want to get my formula (SUMPRODUCT) which doesn't accept shorthand for the
    column ($C:$C) be flexible enough to cope with people adding extra values in
    which need to be incorporated into the formula :-)

    Thanks
    George

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Can I make formulas more flexible?

    suggest using a defined name range such as
    insertt>name>define>name it something like myrng
    in the refers to box
    =offset($a$1,0,0,counta($A:$A),6)
    then refer to the name. modify to suit

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: Can I make formulas more flexible?

    =SUM(INDIRECT("A1:A"&COUNTA(A:A)))

    I think INDIRECT is the function you are looking for. INDIRECT returns cell
    reference specified by a text string. COUNT counts the number of numbers in
    a range, COUNTA counts the number of nonempty cells in a range. The & is how
    you add text strings together. If this doesn't help, I would suggest giving
    actual numbers and results you want.

  4. #4
    Johnny Naperville
    Guest

    RE: Can I make formulas more flexible?

    If the new rows are inserted into the middle of the existing range, Excel
    will adjust the references automatically. The only time adding rows becomes a
    problem is if the new information is just appended to the bottom (or to the
    right) of an existing range.

    Can you set up your data with a last "dummy" record? Maybe the contents
    would be "Insert new data just above this row" or something like that.

    Johnny Naperville